The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay folks im getting my 36 gallon ready for fish. the plan is cardinal tetras and a dwarf gourami. but i have a male veil tail betta alone in his 2 gallon and hes been there for almost a year. and i was wondering if he would get along with the cardinals and the gourami in the 36 gallon? i kinda doubt it will work since bettas are so aggressive, but what do you guys think?

and by the way, i know this is a reef tank forum haha but im just gathering experience(doing freshwater) until im ready to do saltwater.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Betta

He should be fine with them--I had similiar fish with mine for a long time with no issues. Bettas are usually only aggressive with their own kind as far as I have seen...but then again-you know how it is with fish,guessing game in how they may react ya know...Good Luck with it..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright cool. im a little worried that the cardinals will nip at the bettas fins though. are they fin nippers? and i also heard that he wont get along with the dwarf gourami.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the betta picking at anyone, I would worry about the guorami picking at his fins, if its a crowntail betta. Personally, I don't like betta's and I wouldn't put one in any of my tanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have two bettas, lots of cardinals, and 3 dwarf gouramis along with many other types of community fish in my 55g. Everyone gets along just fine! The bettas get left alone for some reason, and more often than not, they themselves are the fin nippers of other fish! So I think that you wouldn't have any problem. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've seen gouramis attack bettas. I wouldn't risk it. If you must try it stand by to intervene and pull the betta out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts