The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank is setup and cycling, i washed the sand pretty well, but i think i could have done a little better of a job, the tank just has a very light haze to the water, i have a sponge in the sump that all water is flowing through now, and it has helped clear the tank up to a point, but this stuff seems too fine.

what would be a better route to go? a filter sock, or back a baffle in the sump with filter floss? or get some carbon in a bag? not sure what is the most effective at removing super find sand particulate?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once the sand becomes coated with colonizing bacteria it will settle out like a rock. Give it a little time.

yea, i know, would rather just speed it up a little though.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You don't necessarily want to remove the fine sand particles, they contain the most surface area for bacteria growth and nitrogen removal. I never rinse my sand on any of my systems as all have fully functioning deep sand beds and I want that fine sand for the bacteria it supports. Once the bacteria start coating the sand its a non issue.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You don't necessarily want to remove the fine sand particles, they contain the most surface area for bacteria growth and nitrogen removal. I never rinse my sand on any of my systems as all have fully functioning deep sand beds and I want that fine sand for the bacteria it supports. Once the bacteria start coating the sand its a non issue.
i appreciate your opinion on this, but i disagree that this is important material to keep in the tank.

the sand that remains in the tnak and the live rock will provide plenty surface area to support the live stock i want to keep.

this super fine material will eventually get coated and remain in the tank, but if i remove what is suspended in the water, it wont impact the health of the tank, and will significantly clear the water for my viewing pleasure.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
If you wanna get it out order some 50micron filter pad and make that into a sock. It'll be clear in no time. If you can use that to line a 100micron sock it'll go even better. Also peruse Craigslist and see if some one has a cheap canister filter. Those do the job nicely.

·
Registered
396 Posts
a Magnum 350 with the diatomaceous earth media will polish up the water, I used one during my fresh water days

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys, i have a wide variety of choices to try.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you wanna get it out order some 50micron filter pad and make that into a sock. It'll be clear in no time. If you can use that to line a 100micron sock it'll go even better. Also peruse Craigslist and see if some one has a cheap canister filter. Those do the job nicely.
I actually have a couple canisters around and have been thinking about running it through my sump to polish water. I started a thread but got no response. Do you feel having a Fluval 306 intake in my pump chamber and output in my skimmer/sock chamber would help keep sand from settling in my sump and also polish up my water?

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Yes. But they should only be used to polish the water. They accumulate bacteria quickly and if not regularly cleaned out they will become a pain and not a pleasure

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks, my main issue is that even with a filter sock I am getting an accumulation of sand in my skimmer and sump. There's also at times particles floating in the DT. But as I said, mainly concerned with sediment in the sump chambers. First sump and just got it running a couple weeks ago. Also, first skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB-110. Any tips and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts