The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah yes one of my usual stupid questions. I am getting a bit peeved at my tank in that I'm getting real good layers of algae on the side and back glass, as well as grape calurpa (evil!) starting to spread across my rocks, with a touch of aptasia mixed in for flavor. I have time this weekend so I am seriously considering going on a major cleaning out mission to get this tank looking somewhat nice again. I assume people out there do this, does anyone have any tips for me? My plan is to just stick a micron bag in the overflow to get out the algae as I scrape it off, take out rocks one at a time and rip off anything I dont want, and hopefully make things look reasonably nice. I'm sure there isn't much for people to add to my plan, but I figured I would post just to see.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
one thing i do when i'm in a hurry, and dont have time to do a water change, or make up new water...

i'll do all the cleaning you talked about, and put a filter pad in the overflow to cath floaties, lke you said. but then i'll also throw a filter pad in a pasta strainer, and put that over the top of my sump. then i'll siphon off my rocks and cc, and let the water flow onto the pad. that way i'm moving some serious water, catching the floaties, and sucking dietrus off the rocks, the filter catches the bad particulates, and the water goes right through back into the sump.you can really do this for as long as you like, and never go down on water level :D

another thing i do accasioanly is fill a 5gal bucket with water from the tank, and put my rocks into it one at a time, and scrub them down. then put them back into the tank. then repeat for each rock. at the end, i take that bucket of dirty nasty water and pour it through the strainer with filter pad into the sump.. again, gets out the dirty stuff, but saves the water.

you could also jsut do a water change in the end.

not sure if this is a good way of doing it, but it seems to not be hurting anything.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that sounds like some good tips. I will probably end up doing a water change at the end as well, my usual trashcan full. Of course it gives me an excuse to do some rock rearranging :).

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'll have to try thouse. My mom's tank us getting some crap on here rocks. Since I got a RO/DI unit now I dont have to worry about spending $1.19 per gallon....

-Paul

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I guess I rarely do any scrubbing of my rocks. Mostly just my sump. I do an algae scrape of my tank probably once a month, and do weekly scrubbing of the tank with my algae magnet. Outside of rearranging my rock on a weekly basis, checking powerheads or so, I do my water changes, chem adds, etc in mysump.

Ray

·
Registered
290 Posts
thefatman said:
but then i'll also throw a filter pad in a pasta strainer, and put that over the top of my sump. then i'll siphon off my rocks and cc, and let the water flow onto the pad. that way i'm moving some serious water, catching the floaties, and sucking dietrus off the rocks, the filter catches the bad particulates, and the water goes right through back into the sump.you can really do this for as long as you like, and never go down on water level :D

Great idea!!! Beats running a diatom.

·
Administrator
49,211 Posts
FWIW rather than routinely scrubbing algae from the rocks, why not re access the hrerbivore population, maybe more snails , conch, or shudder certain grazing crabs(mithrix, or sallylightfoot) Since our goal is to try and establish a compromise balance herem theat seems better than manhandling rock, too much disruprion and the chance of losing lots of little but vital organisms that are present.
Jay I agree that there mnay be times when dunking the rock in a bucket and removing mass amounts of unwanted algae may be needed, I would only do one or two at a time to keep things from getting outta whack. As far as filtering the water and reusing it, I suspect that scrubbing algae will cause some serious tissue destruction and leak alot of nutrients, toxins,etc back into the water that filter pads just wont catch. While vigorous skimming and use of carbon may offset thiese issues, I think the safer course would be to trash that water and replace with new, aged SW mix. Cheap ins, and you were going to do a water change anyway, Right ;)
Bottom line sometimes you gotta but less disturbence leads to quicker stability IMO. Remember always try top treat the problem as a whole and not just the symptoms :)

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My problem is I seem to lose more snails than average (not known why). I have so many empty snail shells on the sandbed, it is hard to count. I'm not about to spend $100 every 3-4 months to restock the snail/crab population. Everything else is fine and healthy, just not the snails! Very frustrating.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I've had 2 batches, both mail order. I followed whatever "invert" instructions were given when I got them. SG is at 1.023-24. It isn't like they ALL die at the same time, seems to be a process over a month or 2. To be honest, it may have started when I changed over to the bioassay salt, which I am not using again. Perhaps that will help things. I'm just thinking to myself right now, sorry for the jumpy post :).

·
Administrator
49,211 Posts
next time try and get an SG reading on the shipping water. It helps if you can drip them an hr for every .001 difference
ie if you run at 1.024 and shipping water reads 1.022 I would drip aclimate for 2 hrs min removing some of the bag water and discarding every half hr or so. It seemed to work for me in the past, FWIW
If they were mail order and had been in transit a while I would measure SG and temp in bag, do some SW adjusted to that SG and temp, then put them in and discard old water, then work on matching tank SG.
Kind of a pain I know but so's losing $100 worth of snails :(

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
good point doug.. i dont have tons of algae. have some cool looking stuff growing that looks like plants. i think geoff said he refers to it as maidens hair algae. i leave that rock alone.

really what i get off the rocks is the deitretus.

i know i'm getting some buildup in there, because my only snails are the one sole surviving astrea, who is growing exponentiallly, and the large cowrie. the only other scavengers are the 20 small green hermits, and the green brittle.

i haven't planned on adding anything else to this tank, because soon it'll all be moved over to the 75g.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.