The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Don't move that one rock! You'll find your self redoing the whole tank, stirring up all the junk, and end up the way you started in the first place.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
jenajet said:
Don't move that one rock! You'll find your self redoing the whole tank, stirring up all the junk, and end up the way you started in the first place.
Mine never end up the same which aggravates me to no end :) I can't get one rock back in place since I moved the tank last October

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
Add one thing...let it chill and get stable before you add another. Multiple variables make the math too hard.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
I don't want to start anything by saying this, but BB is really the way to go. I have tried it all DSB SSB and have now just converted and am loving it. All of my livestock looks sooooo much better.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Auto top off, as well as having it in your plumbing where you just turn a ball valve and water comes out for w/c

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Keeping it simple.

As little maintence as possible

Smile and be happy

·
Registered
468 Posts
1)don't add anything that you can't test for. testing with lousy test kits doesn't count either. get a brand name like Salifert even though they are pricey.
2)read a few books and search the archives BEFORE buying equipment or animals.(i'm still po'd about the Skilter purchase in 1993!)
3) RO water
4) water changes
5) water changes

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do your water changes religiously! Figure out a schedule for them and KEEP it. I had a friend leave it to his girlfriend once and she blew it off and he lost a lot of cool things. Almost crashed his tank.

·
Registered
616 Posts
BTW thanks for starting this thread, I have a feeling a lot of us are going to be able to glean tons of useful information from it. All these years of experience boiled down into one simple thread....:thumbup:

·
11,345 Posts
3 MUST DO's that get overlooked by newbies because they DONT APPEAR at first glance to be mandatory, and then once they figure out they ARE going to be doing this for any length of time they regret it.

1. RO/DI-buy it. Tap water is not good enough whether its coming out of the city sewer or your pristine well in the mountains. Period.

2. Quarantine new arrivals. I dont care if it is coming from that guy you know with that gorgeous tank you are jealous of. Chances are hes afflicted just as much OR MORE than the next guy.

3. Ditto what kelli said. Research, research, research. Reading the recommendations that it has listed by the sepcies on Marine Depots webpage DOES NOT COUNT. That is not research and is vague and marginally accurate at best in many cases. If you are lazy research CAN be successfully done by simply asking on the general forum here. Ask in big letters and read EVERY response. The answers that are inaccurate will be contradicted, the experience on this board is PRICELESS. One more thing, we dont like the atmosphere at the "other board", but do not discount the wealth of information there as well. Its ok to sleep with pompous asses, you just dont marry them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts