The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the hobby about 7 years and since I've been in college lately, I've missed my reef at home... So my solution is to setup a pico reef at my dorm... Only problem is, I have no idea about the LFSes in the Atlanta area. (ironic since I've been going to school here for almost 3 years...)

At the risk of starting a holy war between LFS owners, I'd like to know where the best place to get some high quality live rock would be in the Atlanta metro area. The only place I remotely know of, I visited in 1996, and got royally screwed... (out of kindness I won't mention the name of the store... not that it matters because AFAIK they went out of business anyway ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Best quality & prices I've seen is at Pisces, he usually has a fresh tank. Rock with corals runs 9 $ a pound, regular rock is 5 or 6 I forget, both of those are right inline with mailorder cured in the US rock.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are going to go all the way down to Pisces Pet, then I know of another LFS down in Jonesboro called Aquatic Pets that I really liked the live rock from. $7/lb for good quality caribbean rock covered in goodies. I am also a GT student setting up a nano. How big are you thinking of setting up? Maybe frag partners eventually?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I work down around there and if you would like I could pick it up so you don't have to drive down here. You do live on campus right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree and disagree with you Stanfill. While Fish Store and More is closest and has a great selection of awesome livestock, I think that their live rock is subpar IMO. I have about 9 lb of it and it does not have near the amount of coralline and hitchhikers that I expect when buying good rock. Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Maybe it depends on when you go, we got our first pieces from there and had many hitchhikers and good coralline growth. After six months, we had coralline everywhere.

But I will admit that it can be hit or miss with LR, it depends on when they receive it and where it is from. Some of our other good LFSs have some wonderful LR some weeks and what I would only consider base rock being sold as LR other weeks. I definetely would closely scrutinize any LR before purchasing, which might mean going to several locations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.