The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would the best snails be??? and while I am at it what is everyones feelings on Blue Leg Hermit crabs.... How differant are these guys compared to red leg hermits? Red Leg Hermits are 3-4 at the LPS and Blue Leggers are only .85.....

Thanks Paul

G

·
i hate my hermits there more interested in killing my snails...go with a bunch of turbos, astreas, cerith, naserious, and a couple fighting conchs for the sand bed

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
MNreefman writes: i hate my hermits there more interested in killing my snails...go with a bunch of turbos, astreas, cerith, naserious, and a couple fighting conchs for the sand bed
I would leave out the turbos as they have a tendency to fall over and can't right themselves so they die! Unless you want to babysit each one of them! The rest of the snails species he mentions would be great!

Hermits are a no no as far as I am concerned. Killers they are and will bother alot of corals, etc in your tank!:)

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
hey you all, do not forget the trochus! i do not have any now, but will be getting some soon. so far i can really recommend the ceriths, nassarious, and astreas. astreas are the only ones not breeding in the tank. this is why i want to get some trochus.

i am also a no crab kinda guy.

i have heard that bumblebee snails are predatory. i do not know of what or from where, just something i have heard. maybe someone else knows.

G~

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
they all eat either different kinds of algae, or specialize in where they eat the algae off of. the ceriths will eat the algae on the substrate mainly. they will also eat algae below the sand level. astreas eat the algae on the glass mainly. nassarious are more of a scavanger, they really do not eat much algae. they do what starfish do. eat the leftover food.

G~

G

·
MontanaRocknReefer said:
I would leave out the turbos as they have a tendency to fall over and can't right themselves so they die! Unless you want to babysit each one of them! The rest of the snails species he mentions would be great!

Hermits are a no no as far as I am concerned. Killers they are and will bother alot of corals, etc in your tank!:)
never had this problem...although my hermits do have a tatse for turobs....i cant wait till my mantis gets here tommarow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.