The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a quietone 3000 pump I'm not using and want to use for a skimmer. It lists 780 gph as it's flow rate. Now I just need to figure out what type of skimmer would make the most efficient use of the pump and find some plans for a base to start my design on. Sugestions\????

jd

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what is the pumps rating at 7' of head pressure? this is what a venturi valve would add to the pump. just to give you an idea on exactly what the processing flow of the skimmer would be.

with that pump i think that a venturi driven pump would be your best bet. hard to maul an impellor for a needlwheel skimmer without a couple of spare impellors for when you mess up. that pump is also not powerfull enough to drive either a beckett or an eductor.

of course my designs are the best. :D

G~

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
i think this is the best:rotflmao: ! test two will be this weekend geoff , if everything goes o.k. i will get to a write up:thumbup: ! did you read my thoughts on the weir set-up ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
nice. looks big. what is the rating of the pump for this monster?

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
reiple said:
nice. looks big. what is the rating of the pump for this monster?
well this weekend i will be trying that monster little giant pump on it ! its rated at 2150 g.p.h. at 5' and still pumps out 540 g.p.h. at 40' :eek: ! i am hoping to be able to drive the skimmer and the chiller with it ! i first tried a mak -5 on it and while it seemed to work fine with it ,i have no doubt that i can throw more at it . oh i see your in the phillipines ! let me translate it to metric - :) 1.5 meters / 8138.6 l.p.h. , 6.1 meters /6359.5 l.p.h. , 12.2 meters / 2044.1 l.p.h. :eek: but an energy mizer its not .....:nuts:

·
Registered
214 Posts
gph or lph works with us here (philippines). although most products are in lph. most put both. thats a MONSTER pump @2150 gph and 540 gph at 40 feet!!!! I am curious, what is its power rating (watts)?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gwaco! Maybe I am missunderstanding, but normally you want to run unfiltered tank water through the skimmer and completely sediment free water through the chiller. I am sure you have thought of this but , but you need some kind of filter post pump for the chiller.

BTW Awsome skimmer! Hook us up with some plans if you can.

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts