The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up a better overflow for my sump. Currently I use the eshopps siphon brand. Works good, has never "completely" lost siphon but has come close. Usually air will build up in siphon until the water turn over is low enough to lower the level in my sump. I then notice it and suck out the air every week or 2. However I am leaving for China for a month and want the best overflow on the market. I have seen some sales on CPR overflow which costs about twice as much as the eshopps. It doesn't use the siphon tube, rather the molded plastic style. I thought with an aqualift pump this is the best option. I know drilling is full proof, however its not an option. So any ideas on the safest overflow? Thanks!:beer:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I am looking to pick up a better overflow for my sump. Currently I use the eshopps siphon brand. Works good, has never "completely" lost siphon but has come close. Usually air will build up in siphon until the water turn over is low enough to lower the level in my sump. I then notice it and suck out the air every week or 2. However I am leaving for China for a month and want the best overflow on the market. I have seen some sales on CPR overflow which costs about twice as much as the eshopps. It doesn't use the siphon tube, rather the molded plastic style. I thought with an aqualift pump this is the best option. I know drilling is full proof, however its not an option. So any ideas on the safest overflow? Thanks!:beer:
I had a eshopps, dump the u-tube and use pvc and two elbows to make a new u-tube, then drill and tap a hole for a barbed fitting so you can hook an aqua lifter pump up to it. The cpr is much quieter out of the box, but the eshopps can be modified with a vent tube like the cpr has to make it just as quiet. The best part of the cpr over the eshopps is the smaller foot print inside the tank.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you are getting air bubbles building up in the U Tube and not flowing throgh, that means you do not have enough return GPH to match the overflow. you really want to be as close to the max GPH that the over flow is rated for.
U Tubes are the safest for a over the back type.
Aqualifter types, unless you have a battery backup in a power outage means the syphon will break.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If you are getting air bubbles building up in the U Tube and not flowing throgh, that means you do not have enough return GPH to match the overflow. you really want to be as close to the max GPH that the over flow is rated for.
U Tubes are the safest for a over the back type.
Aqualifter types, unless you have a battery backup in a power outage means the syphon will break.
If the power goes out the aqua lifter is there so when power comes back up it self primes! Any siphon type of overflow runs the risk of siphon loss if power is lost!

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, thats why Im interested in getting the aqualifter. Actually, the problem with the siphon is not water turn over, at 5' my return pump hits 400+ gph. its the water pressure. I think a design flaw with the eshopps is the u tube is too short. That seems to be my problem. No mater how I adjust it the water pressure isn't strong enough in the overflow skimmer and bubbles slowly build up. I bought a longer u tube but that causes its own problem because it siphons too fast for the little box. Anyone ever seen the CPR actually work in a power outage or siphon break?

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
I built a CPR style over flow box, and it is a total bubble trap, i would never run one without an aqualifter AND good check valve(s).

but if set up right in can easily be turned off and on without any fear of overflowing!

the reason I added the check valves, is what if the aqualifter stopped? it would immediately suck in air the the overflow, and break siphon, and BINGO you got a big wet mess....

My overflow is not on my display tank for that reason, if mine failed, it would just flood my sump, no big deal.

if I had an overflow box as my ONLY overflow on my main tank, i would get the CRP, Aqualifter, AND set up a pressure sensor cut off. so if my sump pump was pumping and the aqualifter stopped, it would turn off the sump pump.

But what you could do, is put the other end on the aqualifter in your sump and hope that it dose not surface, and suck air if the pump failed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the Eshopps PF300 and run a quite one 2200 which is giving me most likely a little over 350 GPH at 3.5ft and going through an inline heater, which is 50 GPH over the max flow rate for the box but it has no problems keeping up and has zero air bubbles in the tube, and I turn it off every other day for feeding.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I built a CPR style over flow box, and it is a total bubble trap, i would never run one without an aqualifter AND good check valve(s).

but if set up right in can easily be turned off and on without any fear of overflowing!

the reason I added the check valves, is what if the aqualifter stopped? it would immediately suck in air the the overflow, and break siphon, and BINGO you got a big wet mess....

My overflow is not on my display tank for that reason, if mine failed, it would just flood my sump, no big deal.

if I had an overflow box as my ONLY overflow on my main tank, i would get the CRP, Aqualifter, AND set up a pressure sensor cut off. so if my sump pump was pumping and the aqualifter stopped, it would turn off the sump pump.

But what you could do, is put the other end on the aqualifter in your sump and hope that it dose not surface, and suck air if the pump failed.

How do you set up the pressure sensor cut off?

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nate, thanks for the tips. I can't quite picture what you are saying here. could you explain it again? I thought you attach airline tubing from aqualifter to a nipple valve on the CPR box.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yeah, thats why Im interested in getting the aqualifter. Actually, the problem with the siphon is not water turn over, at 5' my return pump hits 400+ gph. its the water pressure. I think a design flaw with the eshopps is the u tube is too short. That seems to be my problem. No mater how I adjust it the water pressure isn't strong enough in the overflow skimmer and bubbles slowly build up. I bought a longer u tube but that causes its own problem because it siphons too fast for the little box. Anyone ever seen the CPR actually work in a power outage or siphon break?
Yes, I have a cpr. As long as the aqua lifter is hooked up it starts rite back up! I run a 780gph return and have no problems.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Nate, thanks for the tips. I can't quite picture what you are saying here. could you explain it again? I thought you attach airline tubing from aqualifter to a nipple valve on the CPR box.
Aqua lifter suction side hooks to the nipple on the cpr, the discharge side from the aqua lifter gets stuck below the water line in your sump!

·
Leaf on the Wind
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:doh:Oh I get it. I haven't seen the aqualifter pump in action. So it pumps water and accumulated air out of the siphon and the secondary line puts it in the sump. Got it!:idea:

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
How do you set up the pressure sensor cut off?
I would like to know also, someone else was talking about it on another forum, but never had a good image, or details of how it was made, just that it worked....

but I don't really see a need if you can keep both side submerged, but i have had the line (with a big overflow and long distance pressure) suck up air even with the other end 2-3in under the water line of the sump. I didn't realize how much suction power that overflow has in it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts