The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying the 200 gal box of instant ocean salt which has (4) "50 gallon" bags inside. I would like to mix batches of saltwater using 1 whole bag. I have significant room in my stand to fit a 55 Gal aquarium, or a 60 to 75 gal plastic tank, either stock tank or horizontal tank. (Have a 42 gal Brute, but want to do away with it)

I have already have a Submersible (Mag 18) and an external (Iwata 20RLT) to choose from for mixing and dispensing. Using a 55Gal aquarium seems simple, but I don't know if the mixing flow would cause the water to spill. Also, the 50 gal level is probably too close to the rim to use an ATO setup during re-filling.

So.... What do you think? Anyone have a great mixing set-up to show off?:thumbup:

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I would pick up a smaller mixing pump. Maybe a mag 7 or 9.5. I've used both in my 55gl mixing tank, and they work fine.

My mixing system isn't very high tech. I have a 120 gallon sump, with a mark on it, letting me know when I have removed about 50 gallons. I drain the tank with a long garden hose running out into the yard. Then I use the same hose to syphon water from my mixing tank, that's in my fish room, into my sump, that's in my living room. I'm adding a second 55 gallon mixing tank this weekend.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is similar to how i use the brute, but I wheel it around.

I was going to use one of the larger pumps to pump it 6 ft up into the tank. :doh: never considered re-filling into the sump.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I do the same as EC but on a much smaller scale, lol. I only remove about 15 to 20 gallons and I use a shop vac for part of that so that I can suck the detritus out of the main part of the sump. I use a pond pump and pump the saltwater from one side of the garage to the other where my sump is located. I even made sure the hose was long enough to be able to pump out the garage door or through the family room and out the back of the house. Lowes loves me!

I have my sump marked with three levels:
- low level is when I top off with RO/DI since I don't have an ATO yet
- second level is where I top off to
- the highest line marks the level that the sump gets to when I shut the pump off and close the return valve at the pump and the tank drains back into the sump until the level gets below the top of the overflow. When I get the sump clean enough I just refill to that marked line, open the valve and turn the pump back on.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I use 2 18g rubbermaids. One for fresh di and one for salt. I have a pump in each and a heater and PH in the salt. The hose from the salt pump comes put of the lid and goes back in. I just turn on the pump and it circs. or just pull the line out and hit the switch and it pumps into the jugs. The fresh is on a float from the ro unit. Simple. I would love to have room for 2 100g containers... As much as i would ever need on tap....

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I do the same as EC but on a much smaller scale, lol. I only remove about 15 to 20 gallons and I use a shop vac for part of that so that I can suck the detritus out of the main part of the sump. I use a pond pump and pump the saltwater from one side of the garage to the other where my sump is located. I even made sure the hose was long enough to be able to pump out the garage door or through the family room and out the back of the house. Lowes loves me!

I have my sump marked with three levels:
- low level is when I top off with RO/DI since I don't have an ATO yet
- second level is where I top off to
- the highest line marks the level that the sump gets to when I shut the pump off and close the return valve at the pump and the tank drains back into the sump until the level gets below the top of the overflow. When I get the sump clean enough I just refill to that marked line, open the valve and turn the pump back on.
What kind of pond pump are you using? Some of them are not salt water safe.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
IDK the brand but it is what the previous owner used for a sump pump for two years. When you say not salt water safe, do you mean harmful to the pump or harmful to the inhabitants?

Never mind, I just checked it to see what brand it is. Still don't know the brand, but it is a GX-6000 and it has a little picture of a clown fish and an anemone on it so I am guessing it is intended for saltwater, lol. I left the question above because I am still interested in the answer. Trying to increase the old knowledge base.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts