The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do u guys think its the best salt mix for a reef tank i just ordered a new DI resin with an extra cartridge so now im going to have 2 DI cartridges so i will deff have o TDS coming out i changes all the filters and the membrane but im gonna start doing 20 gallon water changes a week for my 75 so i want to buy some salt so i dont have to go to the LFS once a week

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Loaded question... it depends on who you are...

My favorite: Seachem's Reefsalt (Price, color pop, elements)
For those in the know (best for the price): Coralife
For those who like to brag about how much they spend: Tropic Marin Pro/Brightwell
For those who like the coolest bucket: Salinity by Seachem
For those who want to be popular (Best Seller): Instant Ocean
For those with Ca reactors: Instant Ocean or Tropic Marin regular
For those who want more but not really: Reef Crystals
For those who want Ca but no Alk: Oceanic
For those who do not know better: Kent
For those who want no trace elements: Crystal Seas
For those who like multilingual packaging: Tunze
For those who like "natural" to be artificially processed: Redsea
For those without a RO/DI unit: whatever the LFS uses!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
For those who like to brag about how much they spend: Tropic Marin Pro/Brightwell
For those who like the coolest bucket: Salinity by Seachem
LOL:lol:

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
tried all but brightwell, tunze, redsea, and the LFS... I know these things by reading 3rd party comparisons and testing NSW batches myself

I actually mix and match... all have things in different amounts so I "cut". Recently I have been using IO because I was able to get a box (200g) of IO salt for $34. I used through that and now I am waiting. I normally mix Coralife, IO, and Reefsalt to make my "custom" salt. I might use Reefsalt less now that I have a Ca reactor.

And that list was to be funny, but it is based on truth. (Like Coralife has the best parameters despite being a 'bargin' priced salt... Reefsalt has an impurity that makes SPS colors "pop" for a few days after a WC, redsea takes real ocean salt and then adds stuff to it, oceanic has really high Ca numbers but low Alk numbers)

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
H2Ocean... I knew I forgot a few brands but I meant to fuss at that one... for those who like slightly redundant naming with chemistry

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would find a brand that works for you and stick with it.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Now how do u make ur salt future doc. Mix and let it sit for how long before u put in the tank
I mix the salts dry. I normally have a big bucket and add the different types of 50g bags to it as needed. So at times it might be 66% Reefsalt, and IO, and the next batch could have Reefsalt, IO, and Coralife. I almost always have IO in the mix because I can get it at a good price.

When I mix it with RO/DI water, I just use a 32g brute (although a 44g is about perfect for mixing entire 50g bags), fill it with RO/DI, heat it (in the winter), add salt, and mix with a korallia and a Magdrive. I use it as need it. So some weeks I might use it all, others times I might let it mix until I need it.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
People always ask how quickly you can add newly mixed salt but no one ever asks how long you can mix it and have it sit and wait for the next WC. Mine will sit sometimes 2 weeks in a 35G tub while mixing with a PH. Anyone else do this?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Yep, for as long as there is good circulation there should not be a problem. (and if you don't add that Achilles tang to the mixing bucket!

·
Registered
134 Posts
We use whatever is on sale...and sometimes our mixed water will sit circulating for a couple weeks...depends on how many hours I work during the week.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Loyalty to salt brands is always a contentious issue. But since we are on the topic, I have always been happy with Tropic Marin's products and they have produced some great results for me and other hobbyists I know who use them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts