The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just talking to the middleshool teacher who I have been helping, and he mentioned he was going to order some powerheads for his tank.

I have not bought powerheads in years, and the ones I used to buy years ago were sort of junky (AquaClear).

People here on this forum seem to like Maxijets a lot. I have a few, and they seem like nice powerheads. I'm curious though what it is about them that has made them so popular. Do people find them to be more reliable than others?

Are there other powerheads I should be recommending to this teacher for his 90 gallon tank?

How about Seio powerheads? Are you folks liking these?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just got 2 seio 1500 w/ magnetic holders for my 120G and so far so good, they definetly kick out a lot of water with a good spread and velocity- I took of the cover and using in the canon like configuration.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
MJ are very reliable and work very well in short on/off cycles so probably the best powerhead out there to use on a wavemaker.

Perhaps some SEIO use can chime in put I had heard reports of them heating the water up several degrees. I personally can't get over the RIO association with SEIOs and possible quality issues plus they are not usuable on a wavemaker.

·
Registered
264 Posts
David Grigor said:
MJ are very reliable and work very well in short on/off cycles so probably the best powerhead out there to use on a wavemaker.

Perhaps some SEIO use can chime in put I had heard reports of them heating the water up several degrees. I personally can't get over the RIO association with SEIOs and possible quality issues plus they are not usuable on a wavemaker.
the heating issue is simple, any submersible pump will heat the water about what it's nameplate watts would as a full on heater.

The 620 uses only 8 watts,
The 820 only uses 18 watts,
1100 only uses 21 watts. 1500 34 watts. 2600 55 watts.

·
Banned
149 Posts
the seios rock IME.... the controller for them should be out shortly if it's not already. I've only had mine a couple months now but never had a problem coming back on after power off... Nor have I noticed any heat issues for them.

On a smaller tank I think the MJ's are great but on a 90 I would go with the seios myself... Wonder when they are going to make the seio rock...

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
The way to go Bill is see if Sea Monkey is willing to sell him a maxi jet mod or two or maybe even doante for the cause and you will be set. Maxi jets are very reliable and are very cost efficient for GPH to watt ratio. If you search through the TCMAS forum for the maxi-jet mods you will see what I am talking about. Basically you get Tunze performance or better at a fraction of the price. Now the catch is I know some people have had issues making them quiet but from what I hear he has it nailed down now pretty well. Basically a maxi-jet 1200 with a mod is estimated to be roughly 1500gph or better but no one really knows for sure. But trust me when I tell you they are pretty dang slick :D

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
David Grigor said:
MJ are very reliable and work very well in short on/off cycles so probably the best powerhead out there to use on a wave-maker.

Perhaps some SEIO use can chime in put I had heard reports of them heating the water up several degrees. I personally can't get over the RIO association with SEIOs and possible quality issues plus they are not usable on a wave-maker.
I can't tell you about heat. I had the same reservations as you... especially since I have been electrocuted by my RIOs. I vowed never to used their products. But the SEIO was such a deal for high flow low pressure and low watt pump. I researched the heck out of RC looking for anything bad and really couldn't find anything other than you cant use them on a timer.

For the on the cheep options

SEIO or maxi mod for flow
Maxijet 900 for utility, wave timer.

For something like a 75 I personally would get 1 1200 seio or mod and 2 maxi 900, For most reef types.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I used to use 4 maxijets in the 2.5'x4' QT tanks, but switching to one SEIO has added much more total flow and there are less zones that are just too strong and get blasted.
One note, this evening we fed the fish and there is a rock that was moved a few inches right in front of the seio... well the tang was cruising through the flow perpendicular and got pasted up on the rock. Fortunately, we were there to cut the power... Just a side warning about pump and rockscaping placement... :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So why can't the Seio powerheads be used with a wavemaker/timer? Do they have trouble with not starting up reliably after the power is out? This could be bad if there were to be a short power outtage.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
On again off again in a power outage I don't think is the issue.

It's the constant on/off from a conventional wavemaker that take the toll on the Seios and weren't designed to run this way. There is supposed to be a wavemaker made by seio to run them but it keeps getting delayed for whatever reasons. I have no clue and really don't keep up with it to know what the projected costs of this seio wavemaker device will be.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Rumor has it: $150-200 for the timer.

Rumor also has it: it is en route to US distributors at this very moment, ETA could be 2 weeks-1month.

(I give a prayer every night hoping for it..)

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you can afford them, Tunze's are the absolute best pumps. They are unlike any other on the market. The other great thing is that they are completely controllable(the 6000s, 6100s, 6200s) with the multicontroller. They also hold their value extremely well when its time to sell them.

·
1,035 Posts
Staying away from this one

I am using a couple of Seio's and like how they work. BUT, the first one I ran about 1-2 years ago was a 1500. After about a year later it would not restart by itself after the storms came thru and the power flickered. It always had to be taken apart to get it going again. Soon after it would just quit on its own, to the point I did not know how long it wasn't running. Finally took it apart again and attemped cleaning it, the ceramic shaft, assuming plugged up with coraline algae would not even come off the impeller. Finally broke the shaft using a drill bit and press to carefully pound it out.
In any case they are better than a normal Rio and they pump a ton of water. However, they are still susceptable to shaft problems as are many pumps, and if they don't kick in, they will over heat themselves and are toast. Better to just put them into a open area and let them run.
Tunzes are expensive for a reason and most know some also cannot be on any type of wave-maker.....for a reason.
I still use Rio's and Seio's, there is no way I am putting any kind of wavemaker made by anyone on those pumps. If after 2+ years on the market this supposid wavemaker is out with no problems, I might consider it. Once again let everyone else be the quinea pig.

·
Banned
149 Posts
The wave maker isn't a timer, it is more of a power controller that allows you to change the output from like 100% down to 10%... Details are pretty vague on how it will really work and the features it will have. Those pumps are 4 pole as opposed to 2 pole pumps... Appearently they say they did this to ensure the pump starts and that it also starts the right direction every time. So the regular on-off isn't good for them, but you can put them like on a regular time and run one for a few hours. Then run the other one, etc...

Those MJ mods are pretty cool. One awsome point seamonkey (and others) have made is that if you already have MJ's laying around it's pretty cheap to mod them. I seen the one Jerry had at his house and it looked pretty professional. I don't know about the 1500 gallons of flow, the one at Jerry's put out about the same as a seio 600. (Hard to tell without them being side by side to feel, but that's what I thought it felt like)

Why do the tunze pumps cost so much? I'm sure they are awsome, never had one and just amazed at how much they cost for some pumps.... Do they use some sophisticated technology or something?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts