The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I used the search a NUMBER of times for this but I didn't feel like wading through 2000+ posts relating to powerheads..

Whats the best powerhead? I know, I know theres a ton of variables but generally does one company hold a competitive edge over another?
Also, I just stumbled across a powerhead that mounts to the top of your tank and just the impeller is submerged. Anyone ever use one of those boogers?

TIA!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I posted a thread recently,
Everybody crammed thru the door screaming: Maxijet Maxijet Maxijet Maxijet
That's all I could hear!
So I ordered couple of them! ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
There are also some high end high dollar gadgets, like the Tunze Turbelle, SCWD (something like that!).
Maxijets < $20
SCWD > $30
Tunzes > $ 100

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I just use Hagen's.... they're simple and reliable and very easy to clean and maintain...

Some of those that rotate look pretty cool...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Definetly MaxiJet in my opinion. I have 3 MaxiJet1200's in my 55 gallon tank, and I am very satisfied. What I like the most is the maintenance on these suckers is a real breeze!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
yup i go with buzz on this. i like the hagen 402's havent ever failed me yet

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
trt has voted....maxijet, you are the trt idol :funny:

sorry, couldnt resist, just watched the next to last vote of american idol :) yeah, i'm hooked :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had hagen, azoo, and maxijet. I have only maxijet left in the tank. The azoo fried after about 2 months, the hagen lasted about 9 months, and the maxis are still going without a hitch. They're quiet and small and provide great circulation.

'nuff said.

·
Super Moderator
22,404 Posts
Maxi-jets,,,IMO,,,for price, longevity,ease to maintain,,,
and plus,,,they are not Rio's,,;)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Maxijet's are the best! I have several Maxijet's that have been running for years with only a couple of cleanings.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think MAXIJET is the answer, though the Hagens have served me well in the past too.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ShirleyM said:
MaxiJet

Easy to clean, never really need to clean, still working in the back under rockwork 4-1/2 yrs later - been cleaned out once, but only b/c I was doing rockwork and figured I should take the oppty to clean the Maxi 1200 back there.
:)
AAAHHHHH, You've struck on something there!!! I'm thinking it would be smart to have a powerhead circulating directly on the rock to prevent poo buildup. The question is how??!!

Any ideas? I'm thinking a PVC kinda setup in a rectangle and build the rock wall around it?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
jim, this is what shirly did. well, hers i imagine is different, but i got the idea from her site.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16878

cost me like 3 or 4 bucks to build it, somehting like that

and it doesnt have to be the same shape or style. it could be as simple as laying your powerhead at the bottom, hidden behind rock, and have one straight pipe coming off of it. or i've seen people that made them in big fancy rectangles and used them as rock racks and what not.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I'm planning on doing sumptin like that but also a spray bar to mount to the top of the tank to reduce the "gunk" I could potentially collect. Looks like I'll have 4 Power heads jammed in the back of that tank.

Oooohhh My wife is gonna HATE me! :funny:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
lol nah, just have the powerheads all connected together and use one big powerhead instead of several small ones.

specially since its a 55

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL, was thinking the same thing!! Just one big Power head for the spray bars! **Insert Tim Taylor grunt here**

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hmm I use 2 zoomed power sweep 228 power heads and they have been quite reliable for me. Although they can be a slight pain to clean.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Run tubing across the back of the tank with holes drilled with a large PH at each end plugged into the bar.... ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts