The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am somewhat disappointed with the flow in my cube. I have 2-Tunze 6080, which you would THINK would be enough flow. Problem is, the dims of the tank are 30x30x24", so the lengths are so short that the stream does not diffuse the water well and basically blasts a stream of water at the wall, which makes its way down and really doesn't dissipate across the tank well. Anyone else with a cube having these types of problems? If so, what have you done to distribute the flow better?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
have you tried placing the tunze 3 or 4 inches from a wall and aim it at the wall? i would think that this could diffuse the flow yet still give you the total flow.

not sure a PH would help much. i would be worried about the velocity coming out of the PH.

G~

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope haven't done that, but it is worth a shot. It's just amazing how little water movement I see over my rockwork compared to the path and wall where the stream pushes the water. I'll try it tonight and see what happens.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, didn't help. The water does not "bounce" off the wall, it kinda travels down it. I need some flow going over by rockwork because I'm getting hair algae (for some reason?!) and I think it is catching detritus due to lack of good, steady flow over the region. I really don't want to have to install a closed loop.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have a 24 gallon aquapod. Stock it doesn't have enough flow. I added a $20 underwater ph from walmart and it works great, almost too great. Have a hard time finding spots for my babies that like less flow.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is it:

One tunze is in the back, left corner along the top while the other is in the back, lower right corner blowing under my milk crate/island. Suggestions are appreciated (this pic is a little old, but everything is pretty much the same).

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
What about putting both tunze's up top and then angle them inward so they cross while going over the mound. then get a regular PH and have it blow under the crate or even make a spray bar at the bottom of the tank with it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah the tunzes are tricky to aim down or anything clever like that. I did think of doing a spray bar thing along one top edge with some mega pump where I just have a bunch of opening blowing along the top of the island.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts