The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - the nitrates are finally 0 (after a mere 10 days) in the 65G. I tested them in the nano (which I know has been steadily declining) and they are through the roof so I think I better start transfering stuff over.

Since nitrates are higher in the nano - and the water is warmer - what is the best way to transfer. Should I bag stuff and then slowly add the good water to the bag? What about the rock and sand? Do I need to acclimate the rock or no?

·
Registered
790 Posts
This is what I would do:

1: Add water from nano into a bowl.
2: Add half of the 65g water to the bowl.
3:Wait 20 mins.
4: Do step 2 again until you have added the same amount of 65g water to nano water.
5: Do step 1-3 again but 65g water.

Thats what I do to all my <><, and snails, crabs, ect...

-Paul

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike I took your advice....I bagged the stuff, floated it, added a bit of water from the new system and then let'em go. Unfortunately after I had done all this (bagging)I checked the new tank one more time and got trace readings (aaak) I put the nano stuff in anyway figuring that trace readings in 75G of newish water is still better than really hi readings in 10g of bad water.....so now I play a waiting game. Hopefully I won't be punished for my lack of patience. I think I'll be ok because the nano was deteriorating so fast I think no matter what the livestock will be better off. As of now star polyps, torch coral & christmas tree worms are all open and waving around. ( I will be scared to look in the morning!)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hmm I have never acclimated anything. Except for the kole tang that died with in 24 hours but thats a different story. I am opposed to acclimation but then again I can afford it if something dies. Although I have never lost a snail, hermit, fish, coral and so on with my method. I figure why acclimate when the lfs doesn't acclimate.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Seamonkey I dont think acclimation can be overlooked, and in the same breath I believe alot of folks take it a bit to far. you have to take each case seperately and go from thier. If you are getting your stock from a local vendor, with simular parameters then it is not as important (or should I say not as much is needed). If on the other hand you are getting somethig that just spent the night in a bag and the parameter are not lethal but have a ways to go to match yours I always suggwest doing a decent acclimation. Most of the critters we keep are sensitive to large swings in most parameters, so it makes sence to ease them in. I dont think any of us can afford to let it just die.

take care

mike

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
FWIW most LFS float bags to equalize temp, then rip bag, neet fish and put it in new tank without mixing water.
The reasoning behind this is that over a long time(shipping times) the pH in the bag tends to drop with fish respirations. That is a good thing because its slow and gradual and lower pH reduces ammonia toxicity. So fish that have had long shipping cycle or large are more at risk from gill damage due to ammonia than the difference in salinity and what not.
COrals and most inverts don't respirate at the same level fish do and in some the internal plumbing are very sensitive to SG changes ie stars and snails.
BTW it ain't about the money

·
Registered
537 Posts
*Calvin tosses Seamonkey in the cold swimming pool*

1 hr acclimation by mixing bag water with tank water every 10 minutes for fish.

3 hr air hose with a knot dripping for inverts.

Add the critters with the lights off and after tank feeding.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Ok mojo i'll agree with you. Most lfs (well the 3 in my area) teand to run the same parimeters as me only because I visit all 3 quite often and work for the one now.:) I am sorry I did miss the fact that I do a temp acclimation but other than that I do nothing. I suppose if I got some thing from a better lfs I might do it but with the way I am and the luck I had in the past with acclimation I prolly wouldn't. I agree that it is a good practice but as for me I'll be willing to take the chance. I meen to me snails hermits and basic clean up crew goes for around 2 buck a piece so I am more willing to take the chance.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
:angry: :angry: :angry:

i'm sorry but i really hate hearing comments like that.

doug's right. it's NOT about the money. it's about responsible reefkeeping, and caring for another living creature.

i guess i can go through the paper and get a free dog or cat, and then let it get run over by a car, i mean hey, it was free right?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I don't want this to turn into a giant flame thread, but if these comments continue to go back and forth thats what it will become.

Seamonkey, I understand that it is very easy to view a snail or a crab the same way one might view a misquito, fly, or knat around their house. "Lower form of life therefore the money is the only factor" we might think to ourselves. Keep in mind that 99% of the people on these boards are interested in keeping reefs because of thier love for the living animals they keep. For most of us (myself included) this includes the reef "low lifes" the worms snails and crabs are important to us...we see them like any other pet we own.

However, that being said. As much as the words "willing to take a chance" (on an animals life) really get me angry I have to remember that even us "critter lovers" draw the line somewhere. Termites are very interesting, community building, social animals....but I doubt anyone of use would think twice about squashing thier lives if we find them in our house. That doesn't make Seamonkey's words any less painful, but I have to understand that each person draws the line of "importance of life" at a different place.

The point I am trying to make is this. I get just as angry as Doug and Jay do when I hear comments like this. Someone else might get angry when I talk about taking gasoline to a bees nest.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is keep your lips closed about certain beliefs. Seamonkey you are on a reef forum full of creature loving people. I don't suspect that anything we could say would make you hold these particular animals (clean-up critters) in a higher moral regard, I think we understand this and can accept it. Just be more careful where and how you voice those types of opinions. Or better yet, DON'T

Dave

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
thanks dave. you're right. i dont want a flame war either. i withdraw from the conversation.

i would only like to add one thing. to rid my house of termites or any other pest, is choice made to evict a critter that wasn't invited. to bring a crab, snail, or fish out of it's natural enviroment, and willfully bring it into my home, by my own choice, implies a certain level of repsonsiblity to care for that creature.

though i agree with what yo uare saying. everyone has different opinions on right and wrong. there are jsut as many folks out there that think we should not have fish at all in our tanks. nor cats, nor dogs etc...

but, i withdraw and will repspect the fact that everyone is entitled to thier own beliefs and ideas.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jay I think it is safe to say the majority of us here on TRT agree with you. These are little lives we are taking into our hands......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.