The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of getting everything to start my first reef tank. I’ve seen in several websites that they have different types of live rock like Fiji, Tonga </ST1:pand others.

Which one is the best?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
i would go with Fiji Rock that is pretty much the best place to get it i can actually recommend you a place that is really big and sells the LR for 3.99 a pound. they have about 12 vats of rocks you can pic out of they have Fiji and tonga and other let me know it kinda of a drive for u but the mre you buy the better price he will give you. ive seen him sell 100 pounds of Fiji rock for 300 out he door no tax. thats 3 a pound which is really good price and you get to pick you own rock. Let me know and ill give you address if youwant it thats were i go get all my stuff and livestock. Its near LAX airport :) And by the way Welcome to TRT were we all help each other ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, that sounds great. I would really appreciate if you can give me their phone number and address so I can swing by one of these days.

Thanks a lot for your response!

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Get dry base rock of a good quality. Seed it with a few very good LR types and you will have a nice mix in no time. I did this and in 6 months it was hard to tell what was dry and what was live. You can save a lot of $$ this way too...

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
How much does base rock run? I have always gotten cured lr but that will be too expensive for the 90 I am setting up?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
base rock runs from about anywere from 99 cents to 1.99 a pound depends on the rock. i go to a place here in Hawaiian Gardenes they have about 8 different kinds of rock that dry base only thing the dry rock is sometimes heavier and smaller that fiji Live rock. As for me i am going to be Upgrading to a 150G tank from my 60G i will use my 65 pounds i have now and buy another 100 pounds of Fiji but for the bottom of the mound of rocks i am going to use 60-70 pounds of baserock and all the live rock on the top.
Also a cheaper way would to make you own rock out of cement and argonite then seed it will some live rock. This is on of the best way because you can make any rock shape that you wish from cranies to nucks or channels. hope this help
Oh and if you want to go to that place i go to near lax there address is www.aquaticoutlet.com its righr off the 405 freeway on block west

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
i personally like Marshall Island and Tonga Deepwater. But it is all in opinion. and what you are trying accomplish. Marshall Island and Tonga Deepwater are more branching then the fiji.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
liveaquaria.com has a good selection of lr. There are pictures of the different ones they sell.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I prefer Fiji live, but with a couple nice random pieces of the tonga branching rock. Kinda build some archways, and hope maybe some polyps, Zoas or mushrooms grow on it. Or even lay some of the Tonga between some fiji, with a piece poking out horizontally, towards the front of the tank. I think it adds some contrast to just the plain old fiji rock. ANd anything you can get growing on it, especially say a nice shroom on the tip just looks killer, IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts