The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
In my 120G with a DSB I have 1 Sand Sifting Starfish, 1 Horseshoe Crab and 1 Dragon Goby. Combined, They do an outstanding job! :)

·
AKA Captain Jack Sparrow
346 Posts
some sites say they can get up to a foot, im not sure how true that is and if so how long that takes

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mine is also 2-3 inches. My horseshoe crab is tiny but they get really big if they live long enough.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess i will go with some horseshoes b/c i can get them from the local dealers. As far as the stars, I dont think he has any, hopefully I can get my hands on one...gotta love new additions!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I dont't have one, but I have heard certain sea cucumbers do the best job.

You know.....Thanks for mentioning that! I forgot all about these. I have a Tiger Tail Cucumber in my tank as well! Have never once seen him since the day I put him in but I know he is helping with the sandbed as well. :)

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
You know.....Thanks for mentioning that! I forgot all about these. I have a Tiger Tail Cucumber in my tank as well! Have never once seen him since the day I put him in but I know he is helping with the sandbed as well. :)
One of the guys I deal with here recommended it to me when I asked him for a conch. The only thing is, I am afraid to put one in my tank as I have heard when they die, they tank your entire tank with them.:eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have also heard the same thing about conches. Sea apples do the same thing...you may get up one day and the whole tank is dead...Not for ME.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
That is true about Sea Apples but not with the Cucumbers IME. I have been around a few that died. It's no worse than an anemone. Just clean out the remains and run Carbon for a few days. No problem. Just don't let it sit in the tank and rot!

·
Registered
914 Posts
What???......Conchs can nuke a tank???:eek: I just put a queen conch in my tank yesterday as part of a clean up crew. Can some one point me to some info regarding this. I didn't think conchs were a problem.

·
Banned
1,382 Posts
No, Conches cannot nuke a tank. My post was misread. I was referring to the cucumber nuking the tank. WHen I went to buy a conch, they told me I should get the cucumber instead, but was afraid to do so because of it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
No, Conches cannot nuke a tank. My post was misread. I was referring to the cucumber nuking the tank. WHen I went to buy a conch, they told me I should get the cucumber instead, but was afraid to do so because of it.

Oh okay. I don't want anything in my tank that will try to take out everything else with toxins when it decides to die.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have two cucumber in my tank...i have not had one die and had never heard they were toxic. i sure hope they stay alive if that is the case.

·
11,345 Posts
I inadvertently picked up a pink spotted watchman a few weeks ago that makes piles under and behind the reef.....but other than that.......i dont keep anything that stirs up the sand, not even any nassarius snails. I do have flow on every inch of the sandbed though, and it stays white

1 - 20 of 36 Posts