The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up 100 g this is what I have :

120 lbs LR , 100 lbs crushed coral ,Penguin 400 wet and dry filter (HOB) , 2 x koralia 1400 gph powerheads , fluval 404( ditching as soon as i get skimmer).

CUC : 5 dwarf hermits , 2 electric blue hermits , 15 nassarius snails , 10 turbos , 5 red stripe turbos , 1 cleaner shrimp , 1 coral banded shrimp (waiting for the lfs next arrival's to beef up the cuc).

FISH : 2 tomato clowns, 1 well behaved domino damsel ,1 blue tang , 1 flame angel , 1 six line wrasse , 1 coral beauty, 1 richmond wrasse

LIGHTING : 2 x 150w MH 15k HQI , 4 x 65w pc actinic , 6 Blue Lunar LED.

I don't have a sump and am wondering what HOB skimmer to get? I've been looking at Coralife 220g and also the Octopus HOB's but theyre a little pricier and the LX200s that i was looking at rated to 150g . How big a skimmer should I really have?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
from what i have been told and have read on here you want overkill with your skimmer at least rated for 125 gallons if not even 200

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya i've heard that too , just wanted some feedback on which of the 2 skimmers i've mentioned will do a better job. I've also heard that different skimmers will not b rated the same . I guess what i'm asking is whether the 150 rated octopus i mentioned will do a better job than the 220 rated coralife ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
How come you don't set up a sump ? For a tank this size set up for a reef the maintanace on a hob filter would be huge , also skimmers of that size arn t the most attractive looking things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I have a 180g in storage that Im going to move everything into when friend is finished making my stand /canopy for it. Plus this is set up with fish in it , I would have to put fish somewhere , empty it and get it drilled? Way too much work . I don't mind daily maintenance anyway.

Anyway , these r the 2 highest rated HOB's i can find in my budget. Anyone
know what will skim more/better between the coralife super skimmer 220 and the Octopus LX200s HOB ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts