The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Muppet of the Sea
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55 gallon tank is nearly finished cycling so it's time for me to start planning about adding something to clean up the leftover food for the fish I'll be adding. I already know about snails and plan on getting one, but I'd like to know which is better for a newly cycled tank - a crab or a shrimp? 10 years ago I had an Arrowhead Crab and he was a blast. I didn't add him until later though, so I don't know if they would be good for a newly cycled tank? I want something that I don't have to supply shells for (Mr. Arrowhead was great about not needing that! :D) and I want it to be a lean mean cleaning machine that is hardy. What do you suggest?

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Crabs are evil. I won't rant this time but if you'd like to hear one anyway search my username and "emerald crab"

I'm thinking of creating an "I hate emerald crabs" badge for people to add to their sigs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a mix in my 29, 3 turbo snails 2 red-tip hermits and 2 blue legged hermits, all do really well togeather. The crabs will clean the snails shells sometimes if they are on the sand, they don't hurt them because the snails are like 30X their size! LOL

·
Muppet of the Sea
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crabs are evil. I won't rant this time but if you'd like to hear one anyway search my username and "emerald crab"

I'm thinking of creating an "I hate emerald crabs" badge for people to add to their sigs.
ROFL!! I looked it up and you had me laughing my fool head off! Funny stuff! But you definitely have me convinced that they aren't a good idea in a reef tank. Mr. Arrowhead crab was in a FOWLR tank so that's probably why I had no issues with him.

Which now begs the question, are shrimp the better way to go then? Or are they just as obnoxious as crabs? I'd like one snail for the algea and one detritus cleaner.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
LOL good question,
all depends on what you are trying to do with them, turbos, certs, red legs are all good clean up crews, but if you have certain issues like bubble agla you would be looking at other types like the emerald.
keep in mind as you go, what works great for me , might work okay for Helen and what works great for Helen make work okay for me. Each tank is its own Life.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've read that turbo snails can topple over corals/anemones. Has anyone had this problem with them?
They can yea, they are strong little suckers (ahhh so punny!) I'm constantly finding my tank heater shifted over cause they just bowled right through it. They stay off my rock work for the most part, stick to the sand and glass most of the time.

·
Muppet of the Sea
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They can yea, they are strong little suckers (ahhh so punny!) I'm constantly finding my tank heater shifted over cause they just bowled right through it. They stay off my rock work for the most part, stick to the sand and glass most of the time.
Oh the puns that could be had!! :funny:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts