The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just a got a maroon clown and Copper band butterfly today ...thats seem to have ich although its already getting better in the last couple hours ...just wandering what the best cleaners are to control this in the future ....basically i want something to clean it (ich) and parasites in the future just wondering what the best it

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
I don't know of any critters that will fight itch. Taking into consideration the speed at which it can kill a fish, its best to have meds on hand, a tank that can be used for a hospital tank if at all possible and to soak food in garlic. I dont know how many times I ve seen a post about itch nd hat should I do, while the poster wonders and hems and haws time passes and the fish dies. It can go quick.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
]

Neither shrimp, nor gobies nor wrasses can get to the ich under the slime coat. even if they could they would only have to miss one to start the whole thing over.
Like jenglish says, cleaner wrasses and cleaner shrimp aren't 100% effective. They can only get to one stage of the ich's life cycle. And that's if they even try to clean at all. It only takes ONE of the buggers to get by to make hundreds of infective offspring.

· Registered
430 Posts
i just a got a maroon clown and Copper band butterfly today ...thats seem to have ich although its already getting better in the last couple hours ...just wandering what the best cleaners are to control this in the future ....basically i want something to clean it (ich) and parasites in the future just wondering what the best it
they may appear to be getting better if it indeed ich because of the lifecycle of the parasite. Just keep a close eye on them and if needed be ready to treat, could be a few weeks.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
they may appear to be getting better if it indeed ich because of the lifecycle of the parasite. Just keep a close eye on them and if needed be ready to treat, could be a few weeks.
Exactly. The life cycle of ich will lead you to believe its gone. When in fact it is just gaining strenght.

A few days after infection the "pregnant" Ich will emerge from the fish to fall off and reproduce in the substrate. That's when the fish show those white spots we recognize as ich. This usually peaks between 3 to 5 days. After that, the fish will look clean for a period of time. After the ich falls to the floor, it can take anywhere from 3 to 72 days to "hatch". Each one of the cysts that "hatch" will release hundreds of babies.

Here's the the good news....and why the fallow method works....these babies need to find a host fish within 24 hours or they die. But since they are released in such a wide time frame it is diffucult to predict when a tank is clean. Thats why people recommend 6 to 8 weeks without fish in the tank.

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what a newbie mistake ...if it had the ich when i bought it ....i remembered to ask how long the maroon had been in the tank b/c i didn't want a female ...and made sure the copper band was eating .....but didn't even bother to look for ich

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.