The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... New-be here and I have read in several posts that people say they dont use the Plastic Bio rings that come with the Nano cube but replace it with something better.. But I am unclear what this is.. Could someone please explain..

Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
if you're using LR, that will act as your filtration/media. you can use the plastic rings/balls but overtime they will act as a nitrate factory. i say ditch them before you get started. also, you can use a chemipure or purigen to aid in controls your parameters.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I am going to use Live Rock but does that mean I dont need to use the 3 stage filter that comes with my Cube?

One of the 3 stages is Bio-Rings and people have said replace these with something else??? That is what I am asking.. What is it they replace the bio-rings with?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an aquapod and I put small chunks of live rock in the back of the tank instead of bioballs. I was advised to take the sponge out of the first chamber, but when I did that, the tank got real cloudy, real fast.

So for now, the sponge stays, and when I do my water changes, I take the sponge out and clean it off in the water I take out of the tank, by submerging it and squeezing it out. So far so good. . .

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Remove everything from the back of the Biocube except the pump. No filter or bioballs.

Keep the liverock in the tank and during your water changes be sure to siphon out the rear chamber to keep it clean.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove everything from the back of the Biocube except the pump. No filter or bioballs.

Keep the liverock in the tank and during your water changes be sure to siphon out the rear chamber to keep it clean.

Really??? No Carbon No sponge or anything??? I am just double checking as this is the first I have heard this advise...

So the Live rock is all I need as a filter?

Thanks for the Info..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... I see what you are saying now.... Even the Nano Cube manual states you dont need the Bio-Rings if you have 1lbs of LR per Gal...

Is it ok to still use the Bio-Rings??? Only reason I ask is I think I am only going to put about 20 lbs of LR in my Nano 28... Reason being I have a couple of nice pieices of fake Coral on fake LR I want to put in there too so dont think I can hold 28 lbs of LR...

·
Registered
284 Posts
they recommend 1.5-2 lbs of LR for every gallon of water.
i have 40lbs in my 29g BIOCUBE and it looks great and have never had any filtration problems. keep in mind after displacement due to ROCK/SAND/SKIMMER etc... the total water volume will be alot less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts