The Reef Tank banner

Berghia Nudibranch Photos

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Melissa 
#1 ·
Here are some berghia nudibranch photos. I hatched these from eggs about three weeks ago. For size reference, that is a zoa polyp in the background. I don't know how many there are - they're very hard to see still. This photo was taken through plastic that is slightly clouded, so the photos aren't crystal clear.

See less See more
#6 ·
Flipturn88 said:
Awesome, Melissa! What inspired you to breed them?
Aiptasia! :D

I started with eggs, not with nudis, so I didn't technically breed them, just hatched them out. I'm hoping that I can get some egg strands with these nudis to hatch out as well. If all goes well, I should continue to see these increase in size until they are about an inch long. I'm not sure how long that will take.

Gwen - I'm surprised I got even that photo - I took several and they were all blurry except this one. My camera sometimes has a hard time focusing on stuff like this.

I'll update this thread with any progress they make. I'm hoping to transfer them into a different container so that I can see them better.

Thanks,
Melissa

#10 ·
Bummer... If only they ate Majano's as well!!! I would have a seemingly endless food supply if they did! :-(

#12 ·
I read an interesting article about a nudibranch in the same family that will eat tulip anemones and other various pest anemones, but I'm not sure if they have tested it or had the time to test to see whether it is harmful to other anemones such as bubble tips, carpets or even mushroom anemones.

I'm probably not going to sell any for a while until I can be sure they are large and healthy. I'd like to have enough to keep some breeding, too. But, I'll keep this thread updated with growth progress. I'm pretty stoked!

#15 ·
Bob, I did hear that, and at the time of the conference, I wasn't sure if any of mine had survived. I don't know if I will ever breed them for profit because that does take a significant amount of time. I bought a couple egg rings just to see if I could hatch them out and successfully grow enough to take care of my own aiptasia and then pass them on to someone else. Hopefully these guys will take off and lay some more eggs eventually.

It's a fun experiment. :D

#16 ·
Melissa,
These are so cool. Do you need more aiptasia to feed these guys? I've got some rock loaded with them cycling in a bucket that I want to get in my tank. Was going to kill these off but thought I'd ask you if you needed these before moving ahead.

Susan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.