The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
HOW MUCH!Ok I will take 2
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now I am in it for the long run. My basement wont be ready for awhile so the inwall 120g is on hold.

So....This is my new project.
I have purchased 2 40g breeder tanks. 1 is in for drilling and I picked up the other one today which will be the sump. I am doing a DIY stand and canopy.
I have been mulling over the refug and stuff. I have lotsa questons as I go along and appreciate all following this build.

So here is a pic of my project and a refug spec sheet. The refug spec are smaller than my tank but will figure out the math later.

Attachments

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pump?

I am leaning towards Quiet one pump but not quite sure GPH I will need yet.
Anyone have this pump and what are your thougths on them.
I was thinking Mag but they create alot of heat no?

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone?

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
All the advice I have heard is to go with eheim for a return, as they are quiet, run fairly cool and last a long time. I will be running a eheim 1262 as the return on my 90 g. You might look into the 1250 or 1260 depending on what kind of flow you want.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks. i am not even sure howmuch flow I will need. But researching it.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you going to run it in the sump snow man or external?

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So if it os a 40 g tank and 20g in sump then x10 = 600 gph cycle?

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I pass that much through the sump and refug I dont understand how you are suppose to have a lower flow in the refug...unless u plumb it to pass through refug slower....Am I making sense here?

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
Yes you are, I can't really help you on that one, I know that everyone I have asked says to run the flow through the sump between 3-5X the volume of the tank per hour. So if that is the case you should be running no more than 400 gph through your sump, at least that is the way I understand it.

Hopefully others will chime in and give you more help than I can with that question.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok that makes sense. But as I heard it is more benificial to run the flow through the refug slower but not sure if that is possible...

Also I am having a hard time deciding what size of input and return. I was thinking 1.5"

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Ok that makes sense. But as I heard it is more benificial to run the flow through the refug slower but not sure if that is possible...

Also I am having a hard time deciding what size of input and return. I was thinking 1.5"
you don't want too much flow though your sump/refuge, or you'll be blowing bubbles and suspended crap right back into your tank.

your sump return should not be used to create flow in the tank, but rather to skim and clean your dirty water. use as lowest amount of flow through your sump that matches your skimmers ability to process dirty water.

then use pumps/powerheads inside your main tank to create more flow there.

J.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I have to do the math

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I picked up the overflow today and am going to go with 1.5 to sumo and a 1" return.
Waiting for the tank now before I can do any more.
I am thinking flow through 10 times the volume of tank per hour should be sufficient
Any input on this?

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For in tank flow... I wanted to go CLS but i think 2 Koralia #2 @ 600gph each should be enough I think......?

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well things didnt go so well at the glass shop.....:(
I have a 40g with 1 broken side.
So I made a trip to the LPS and to my luck they had a 65g RR cornerflow on sale.
So now there is a change in plan for me. I am still going to go keep the 40g sump.
Things perhaps could work out for the better.Now I have an extra 25g to play with and it is still a 36" tank, a little taller but thats ok.
I will keep everyone updated.

·
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Fish ... thanks , I can replace the pane and they are but I am gonna put it in the corner for now and work on this 65g. I am going to start the stand this weekend and will have some pics to go along with my progress.
The bug,.....hmmm I think I had the bug for years with FW and now I am trying this SW I like it much better.
:)
Peace, Lloyd

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
yea I was into fresh for years too, got bored and always liked salt. I moved and my African tank crashed, traded a few survivors for my first bag of salt. I was thinking of getting a 65 too, am making my 40 a sump. Im not buying anything till after I figure out where Im living in the next year.

1 - 20 of 386 Posts