The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Reefaholic
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall!

I have a 47 gallon tank that I believe has now begun the cycle. As of right now, here is what's currently going on in my tank.

-Reef Octopus HOB Protein Skimmer
-200w heater (water is around 79 degrees)
-powerhead (flow reaches down the length of the tank, 4ft)
-Coraline Crushed Coral (about 40 pounds) washed with tap water
-40 pounds of South Sea base "dry" rock
-10 pound of live rock from LFS

I added the coral and then the rock about 30 minutes ago with my home mixed saltwater (ro/di water straight from RODI filter) and currently have all my equipment running. The problem.. Upon testing out my filter (fluval 403) it leaked all over the place and started shaking and making a loud scratching noise. So I've decided to invest in a better filter. Will my tank be okay for a couple of days without a filter? Will the protein skimmer do anything beneficial at this point?

Thanks for all your help, you people are awesome. If you guys want anymore info let me know!

·
Reefaholic
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and if it matters, I washed the base rock with tap water and the live rock with RO/DI water before adding it to the tank.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You will be fine running just the power head and protien skimmer for aeration / circulation. I'd ditch the canister filter anyway since it will cause you more problems or maintenance concerns in the long run. I'd recommend a sump but not completely necessary. Honestly if you just invested in a few more power heads along with your skimmer will be sufficient for circulation. The "filtration" will take place with your live rock. This is where your beneficial bacteria will thrive

1 - 3 of 3 Posts