The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my fist tank, 55g. I plan on having fish only. It came with a wet/dry filter, and I bought live rock. I just bought a protein skimmer after reading that it helps take away waste products. But because I'm new I dont know if it was necessary to have both a wet/dry filter and a protein skimmer. I havent set up the skimmer yet. Should I take it back, or should I run both? Any information on the topic would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Wet/dry is not a terrible filtration method for fish-only. It does allow high processing rates and good aeration for a system. Yes, it is not desirable for a reef with corals, but fish only system do get a potential benefit. Running both is fine as the skimmer removes some of the organics while the wet-dry processes them so they are less toxic. Still need water changes to clean up the byproduct of the wet/dry.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Since you have Live rock! I'd say just use the wet/dry as a sump and use the skimmer in it.Your Live Rock is your filter and don't need and filter in the wet/dry.And it will be easier to maintain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help and information. I think I'll just keep the wet/dry til the nitrates get bad then convert it to a sump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts