The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my FOWLR up now for nearly six months. 90 gallon display with 30 gallon sump/refugium. Tank has been cycled now for several months & my nitrates are around 5-10ppm, zero ammonia & nitrites. Just a few fish - blue hippo tang, percula & a couple of blue chromis. Am I in good enough shape to start adding a soft coral or two? Any suggestions on something easy to start with? Anything I should be dosing the tank with before trying to add anything? I have been using the Reef Crystals salt, but not sure what this gives me over the regular instant ocean.

·
Registered
160 Posts
mushrooms, zoa's, colt (a favorite as my clowns have hosted :) ), or a plate would all be relatively easy to start with and would not need alot of dosing or much change in your water perameters.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Mushrooms actually like a bit or nitrates, and the lighting needs are not as high as "true" corals.
Elegance corals are another one that like a bit of nitrates, and likes low to medium lighting. There are some spectacular specimens that are in the $60-$80 range.
You don't mention a protein skimmer, and these two choices can work without a protein skimmer. In fact, a very good skimmer can be detrimental to both of these choices.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Star polyps are also very easy going, and the spread well too. If you get a small frag and attach it to a rock that you'd like to dress up, it doesn't take long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts