The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before i get a anemone i want to know what i plan on feeding it....i was thinking fish but didn't know what kind to feed it. What kind do you feed it

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
How big of an anemone are you thinking about getting, and do you know what type yet? What type of lighting do you have for it?

I know some people feed them silversides (fish) depending on if they are big enough to handle it.

If you could change the title of the thread to include Before I get an Anemone, you might get a lot more help as well. You may need to ask a Mod to help you with that.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i will ask them to change the title to before i get an anemone. Well i was planning on getting a buble tip anemone on the small side to go in the top right of my tank under a 80watt dual daylight 6700k/1000k lighting sytem with dual actinics 420nm/460nm

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
It sounds like you are talking about Power Compact lighting. If so, that is not really recommended for most anemones. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more experience on Bubble Tips and let you know if you will be able to keep it under that light.

Here is a blurb on it from Live Aquaria:
For best care, the Bulb Anemone requires strong lighting in aquariums of at least 30 gallons. Under ideal conditions, it can grow up to 1-ft in diameter. However, most typically remain compact in size when kept under bright lighting. If the lighting is insufficient, the Bulb Anemone will expand its body to make the most of the available light. It should be kept with a Clownfish for best care. At times, the tentacles of the Bulb Anemone may appear stringy; this may be due to insufficient light or the need for food. Its diet should include chopped fish, shrimp, or worms if a clownfish is not present.

HTH

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bubbletip anenome`s need intense lighting. T5`s or MH`s IMO. I have 4 VHO`s and still dont think I have enough. They also need a mature tank. I always suggest a 6-9 month old tank. I`m new around here so I dont know how old your tank is. The reason for the mature tank is because the water parameters need to be very stable. It`s not always a sure bet that a clown will host it. My clowns ignored my BTA and hosted with a bubble coral instead. Here it is doing it.

100_0638.jpg

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I don't feed my anemones, the clowns feed it for me. Whatever I feed them that day, the female takes it back and feeds the male and the anemone.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant hva any of those lighting system on my tank. i couldn't find the 20" t5's and the MH`s is to expencive for my budget and second would evaporate a ten gallon tank in days right now with my light system it evaporates 1/3 of a gallon every day. So should i just forget having a anemone in my tank.

·
Tokay Gecko Tamer !
944 Posts
Thats not Quite true .
The Evap would be about the same because you would not want the MH 1-2" off the water :D
It should be around 6" and you would still get plunty of light in a tank with so small of a depth.
If you look you can get a T5 Nova Extreme Fixture that will fit a 10 gal tank.
The olny thing is that it will cost about the same for one that will fit a 20L or a 29 Gal tank .
The olny Real problem you will have is as stated Evap and Salinity Swings.
The water will not be as stable as a larger system because theres less to begin with so more will go wrong faster .
If you keep it toped off daily then you should be fine .

P.S.

You can feed it meaty foods such as Sliver Sides and Lance Fish.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Thats not Quite true .
The Evap would be about the same because you would not want the MH 1-2" off the water :D
A 150MH fixture will cause more evaporation than a 100W T-5 setup. Conversely, a 200W T-5 setup will cause more evaporation than a 150MH fixture. The difference is how concentrated the heat source is.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
surface agitation will have a larger affect on evap than heat.
If you really want the anemone the I suggest reading up on them and doing a fair bit of research. They take strong lighting, a well established tank and a stable system to make them happy and also to remove as many variables as possible. If you want to do it, do it right the first time. It will save you money in the long run (cheaper to build one good system than to build a budget system then upgrade to a good system)
Anemones are over 90% water (or there abouts) so stability, issues good and bad, and overall quality of the environment you build, all have a huge affect on the overall success of the anemone.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
Even if you had good enough lighting, IMO a 10 gl tank is too small for an anemone. For a clown you probably need a bta or a carpet and they get way too big for a 10 gl - even if that was the only thing in the tank (other than the live rock)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what would you reccomend for a clownfish to host in that will fit in my 10 gal tank. I want my clown to host i think it is really cool for the clown to have a sybiotic relationship

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I have two small true perculas in my 10G tank. They are going to end up in my 12G tank with an anemone (I haven't found what I want for them yet).

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I have a clown hosting in a frogspawn in my 5 gl tank, it's pretty cool. However, it was there for almost 2 yrs before the clown took to it. I think the whole hosting thing is hit and miss.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
We are keeping a BTA in our 28 gallon but the anenome is ginormous and taking over the tank. I would really recommend at least a 50 gallon.

The tank is only six months old, but we are meticulous with salinity and now small water changes.

The lighting is 2 x 65w PC which is not too bad for just a 2' long tank. The anemone is parked right up top next to the light. As far as where you want the anemone to go that is up to him...it will be any place he **** well pleases to go.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
That is one thing I figured out after about 4 days with the one in my 90. I kept putting it back where I wanted it, it kept going back where it wanted to be. Now, it stays in the place it chose to be in. So, I don't move my anemone anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts