The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im using 1 inch pvc drain and return pipes. I dont have the bulkheads yet, Do I buy 1 inch bulkheads? Will a 45mm (1") diamond hole saw work?

Im unsure where I need to drill the holes (1 drain on the rear left and 2 returns, one on each side)
Should the drain be completely submerged or halfway? How about the return lines? Im going to use modular pipe on each return to direct flow. What if theyre underwater and the power fails? Do I still drill a small hole in these somewhere?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I think you would want to keep your overflow line somewhere near the top of the tank. The lower you go, you increase the amount of water that would go to your sump during power failure. For the returns, depending on where you place them a hole won't help. You could pick up a union that only allows flow in one direction. Alot fish stores have them. I think your best bet would be to drill your whole at the top of the tank for your return lines, or don't drill and hang them over the top. Or you can drill a couple of holes for a closed loop and not have to worry about power failure problems.

For the bulkhead question, I am not sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A 1" bulk head requires a 1 3/4" hold drilled in the tank. Some BH may be a little smaller, you need to get the BH before drilling to make sure you drill the right size hole.
What size tank are you drilling?
Make sure its not tempered glass, tempered will bust when drilled.
I have all my tanks drilled and you want the return to the sump high on the tank. I have them drilled in the upper corners. I can try and post some pics when I get home if you want.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here are 2 pics of my 55.
this is a close up on the rt corner. You can see the elbow that you can get at HD and the strainer that you can get online.

Here is a shot so you can see how the 2 are pointed...

I have the same set up on my 125. I have slip fitting bulkheads on the 125 and threaded on my 55. I prefer the threaded BH, piece of mind. NO way there going to leak or come apart.
I have a threaded nipple on the elbow which screws into the BH. I have another nippel and elbow on the back side with a threaded hose adaptor on the other end of the elbow. All parts you can get at HD or Lowes except for the strainer. PA has the strainers.
Hope that helps..
You want the holes drilled up higher in the tank so you get some surface skimming and you can adjust the flow rate by moving them lower in the water. These are both returns to the sump. I have a hang on return elbow from my return pump. Very easy to set up.
I run a viaaqua 3600 as the return on the 55, cheap, good pump. Never had to smack it to restart and don't have to clean much.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
that is a very simple drain setup. works very effectively, but can be noisy. not sure how quiet you are wanting this tank.

i put all of my returns over the back of the tank. that way your back siphoning is extremely limited. using drilled returns can be done, but you need to make sure the sump is large enough to handle the back siphoning in the case of a power outage.

G~

·
Registered
107 Posts
My tanks make no more noise then a RR tank with a built in OF box. Its all in how you adjust them. And if they do make noise its a easy fix with some airline hose..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts