The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
looks like cyano to me. my guess is you have some dead areas at the bottom of the sump. i think you need to do a cleaning in the sump. remove any detritus you have on the substrate. the detritus can be fueling the cyano. what exactly is in the sump. substrate algae. we know cyano, it also looks like some valonia. are those zoas also?

G~

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
how long has the sump been setup? can the water get down to the substrate easily? i think it just need to get some water movement down to the substrate. i think you are getting dead spots on the substrate. i would only try to keep the Halimeda, i said try because we all know how impossible certain species of Caleurpa can be to get rid of.;)

G~

·
Administrator
48,763 Posts
Hmmmmmm I am definatly seeing cyano, and probably valonia bubble algae as well.
First of all bear with me while I give the speach :( You have levels of nitrate and or phosphate high enuff to support the bad as well as the good.
What kind of light are you using to grow caulerpa and Halimeda?
What ever you have now I would at least double it. Home Depot and similar stores used to carry a self contained Compact Flourescent yahd light fixture, I believe the model was #9226 or similar. No matter the critical data is its a 65 watt PC (plug and use, after attaching a cord) The main thing is its a 6500K PC and its only about $30 plus a cord, unless you have one handy. IF not that try to add a 100 watt grow-lux bulb(bluish when not lit)
Use one of the cheap round reflectors and maybe a 6" clamp on fan to prevent heat increase.
OK now that we are attempting to address lighting, for the cyano, it will come off easily if brushed, so you migh take a dowel and a NEW cheap toothbrush taped on the end, and physically brush it off everything you can. While doing this you need to rig up some kind of holder to hold a bit of filter materiel, I like the bulk pond filter pad (blue on one side and white on the other, rig this so that water flows thru it before going to the return pump
Speaking of, what is your sumps flowthru rate in gal per hour? And how big is the sump?
The other option is to get a slip on filter sleeve, like they use as prefilter on Magnum canister filters. Sew the bottom shut, get a good sized powerhead, like 400 gph and enough correct sized tubing to run it into the homemade filter sock you made. Stir up the cyano and let the powerhead pump it into the sock. Worst case scenario, get a clean plastic colander and some polyfill batting and pump the water thru that, trappin as much cyano as possible. You will need to do this a few times to get it.
Meanwhile cut way back on feeding, after filtering the cyano, do a 20% water change, and maybe consider a mithrax (emerald ) crab or 2 for the sumop to deal with the valonia. HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.