The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have no fish in my tank, the tomato and maroon just died last night. Well, i thought this would never happen, im more sad than mad now i guess. Do u think it could be the salt level? It is at 1.024, ive always had it at 1.020, then out of no where i guess it is at 1.024. I think im gonna do a water change, and wait a while and check the tank every so often, should i stop the protein skimmer and let the algea grow out? Id like to see the algea just prosper, but the skimmer maybe just holding it back, if all of your fish died, how long would u wait? I think im gonna wait maybe a month or so, maybe add a couple of chromis before any real fish. I havent baught the test kit yet, but i plan to this weekend. My check is coming today, yay! Well i guess it wasnt ment to be for them to live, i should just have left them and let them go to a better owner and i should have waited longer, my tank has been up for about 6 months now, i didnt get my first perc till last month, two weeks after, the second perc, then the maroon week after. Id like in the future, maybe this winter, like january or something, ill read on anenomes and buy one and get a whole mess of percs, that would be cool. But thats all i have to say i guess.

Brandon

·
SoCal Reefer
158 Posts
sorry to hear your fish died, i would wait the month and check your water at least once a week. there really isn't a reason that i can see to keep your protien skimmer running if thats all you have in your tank.

better luck next time.

my 0.02

·
Registered
658 Posts
1.020 looks a bit low on the salinity level to me, though I've seen that if you have a fish-only tank that it's desirable to run lower salinities. I keep my tank at the 1.025-.026 level (usually fluctuating due to evaporation) and everything in my tank seems to be doing fine. From what I've gathered, that's also the 'average' (depending on location of course) ocean salinity in the areas from which our corals are harvested.
HTH
P.S. Sorry to hear about the casualties... I know that I scold myself severely whenever that happens... It's tough playing god... :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
ill read on anenomes and buy one and get a whole mess of percs, that would be cool
brandon, IMO that's wh ythe fish died the first time. too many clowns in too small a tank. try to remember that a perc in the wild would have unlimited space to be on his own, away from other percs. they aren't meant ot be slammed together in a small tank. and it's never been recommened to have more than a breeding pair.

i'm extremely sory the other fish died too. i would do some major water checking, beyond the obvious.

let the tank sit for a while. personally i would continue runnign the skimmer. it's not hurting anything.

i'd drop in a fresh prawn now and then to keep the bacteria alive.

get your salinity leveled out. it raised for a reason. do you add salt to your top off water? are you matching your water change salinity level to that of what's already in the tank?

get everything stabilized before you add any more living stuff.

also, fwiw, chromis are "real fish" ;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Brandon I had the same problem but mine was algea, not dead <><. I just walked away, do regular top offs, water changes, adding calcium and test it every week and wait a month. But get a test kit!!! That was my plan, I haven't added anything to my tank for the whole month of June besides 2 peppermints and thats it. I also added some new lighting but as far as adding LPS, SPS, or even a clam I haven't even thought about it. All though I did just bought a 175watt MH to add to my lights :D ....but just step back for a month or so....Good luck...

-Paul

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
paul the WHOLE month of june!?!? good job, considering it's not even the 15th yet :funny: :funny:

lol sorry i just couldn't let that one slide :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
roughly 6 months, not sure on date, but maybe just over 6 months

Thanks for all the replys, i guess live and learn on stuff, but didnt want to learn on fish.

Brandon

·
Registered
852 Posts
I havent baught the test kit yet
Brandon, if you don't have test kits yet, you don't know what's going on in the tank. I'd wait until you get them. You'll need all these test kits:

ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH
Alkalinity

Sorry to hear your bad news :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.