The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Credit where credit is due, this project is partially inspired by Paul b and his invention.

>You can view it here<

So, thank you Paul.

Update: I will leave the pictures for the first edition up, but there is a second version below that is much better. The old pictures will only be in the Attatched Thimbnails.

Now, on with the show...

The idea was to add a way to allow live food to be slowly introduced into the tank. Since Mandarins are slow eaters it would be a very good way to feed them.

I won't get into too much, i'll just tell you how it works..

The first part is a feeding tray that can be permanently left in the tank. It has a tube going into the tray and a screen over the tray to allow the mandarins to sit on top and eat the food as it comes through the screen. The tube going into the tray goes up and to the top of the tank where there is a disconnect coupling.

The second part is a bottle that is filled with BBS or other live foods. It has a threaded cap with an O-ring seal. Then a shutoff valve lid is screwed on and shut so you can turn the bottle over. The assembly is then attached to the disconnect coupling on the tank.

Third there is an air valve on the bottom of the bottle, that once inverted and placed on the tank is now the top. The valve is attatched to a tube that goes all the way down into the bottle..

How it all works is, once you release air valve, air will go into the bottle, and subsequently bubble through the water. This will keep the foods suspended and aerated. As the air goes in, water goes out. Down the tube into the tank and into the feeding tray. All the while carrying the foods into the tray. You can adjust the bubble slow or fast, depending on the rate at which you chose to feed.

As long as the bottom of the air tube is just slightly above the water level in your tank it'll work just fine If everything sits too low and the bottom of the air tube in the bottle is below the water level, nothing will happen. If the whole thing is waaay too high it will create a huge vacuum and suck the food out like fleas into a hurricane. Just a few inches above the tank and it'll work like a charm.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are the part I used.

- 3" PVC cap (Not a regular plumbing one, but ones for rain downspouts)

- 3"-4" PVC adapter

- A needle valve for the air

- Rigid tubing

- 1/2" threaded PVC Union (disconnect)

- 1/2" MNPT coupling

- 1/2" MNPT to 3/8" tubing adapter

- 3/8" tubing

- 1/4" tubing

- Mesh screen

- A Bottle

- O rings

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next is the tray assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
There are only 2 concerns I have, but the idea is basically sound. The shrimp in that clear bottle will all congregate towards the light so may not go into the netted container gradually but will possably all go in at the same time and the netting is much to large so the shrimp will immediately head to the surface once they get through the mesh. But a little tweeking and it will work perfectly. All good ideas need some tweeking. Let us know how it works.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
nice idea

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
am today hatching brine shrimp to feed them tomorrow to my mandarin, i made it pauls way actually am still working on it so wish me luck

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the design has changed a little.. The system you see above worked as advertised, but the rate couldn't be adjusted as low as I would have liked. It drained out as a pretty even rate, but when adjusted real slow. Say.. 1 bubble a second, it allowed to many of the small details to become an issue. To go that slow you need a really precise needle valve, and a very rigid bottle. I could have fixed this, but after Paul b and RayJay pointed out some possible issues, the gears started cranking.

I decided to make it easier to fill and many fewer parts.. Here is the solution and what I think is 300% better than the design above.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This version works by displacing water.

The whole assembly is left on top of the tank.

Water comes into the jar from an aqua lifter pump. The water comes out of the tank, through the pump, and goes into the jar through 1/4" tubing. The rate is adjustable via the little valve.

To dose brine shrimp you close the large valve, and open the jar lid. Then you pour in the brine shrimp. Close the lid tightly to create a nice seal, then open up the large valve again.

Now there will be a vacuum left at the top of the jar, and as long as no air comes in, the level of the water will never drain down. But the aqualifter adds water, so in turn, water will be forced out the bottom, and down into the tank.

In this version even if Brine shrimp tend to propagate towards the top, it doesn't matter. As long as water is going in, then water is coming out and into the feeding tray. And every now and again some brine shrimp will wander into the outgoing water. If you have the water flowing fast enough, they could all get swept out in a few minutes, or is it's slow enough it could take a day..

I will put this system in my tank and have a demonstration soon enough..

Attachments

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
Did the net work well? Did any shrims went out from it?

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
I tested mine today and all the shrimps wen out free directly after adding them so am getting another net today to replace the one i have but i think my mandarin catched some of the free shrimps cuz it was piching up around the rock near the feeder all the day.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts