The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys think about this. I'm going to set up a 180g BB.. I'm thinking of getting some larger grain sand (probably 1-2 mm like Seafloor Special Grade).. It would only be 1/8" thick.. it would obviously blow around a little... some parts you would see sand and some parts you would see starboard. With the thicker size, it wouldn't make sandstorms... it would just blow around to the back of the tank.

What do you think? It could be shaken up every 3 days or so pretty easy with a plastis stick to help reduce any detritus.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you want to add sand, you'd be better off with a smaller grain size so the sand would stay in constant motion. That would allow it to "clean itself".

When I removed the sand from my 155, I had to add a small sandbox back in because my Yellow Watchman wasn't happy. The sand covers about a square foot area and has been pushed into little dunes by the current. Some of it spills out of the box. I don't mind. I just siphon it out and add new sand to the box when it gets low. Because the sand stays in motion it's always clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geoff.. then it'll always be 1 side up and it will get covered in coralline.

The sand won't ever get covered in coralline and hopefully it'll help the starboard resist getting coralined.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what is wrong with coraline on the bottom of the tank? :D

i think you would find that it would be a pain. it will pile up in the same areas that you will need to siphon for detrital buildup. i just think that it will make it harder in general to keep the tank clean.

G~

·
Registered
363 Posts
My thought exactly. I have aragocrete frag plug's that keep getting blown to the back of the tank where my pile settles. If you don't mind siphoning out the sand and replacing it all the time then go for it, but I think that will get pretty old quick.

You may be able to use a large diamater gravel cleaner that would leave the large sand grain's in while removing the lighter detritus. But those are big and you'll probably be making frag's with it all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts