The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about setting up a BB tank, but I am a little confused on what fish to put in it. It will be a 60 gal (24x20x28). The size doesn't allow me to have any tangs, gobies need the sand along with some wrasses. I would like to get a carpet anenome and a pair of clowns, but I think the anenome likes it foot in the sand. I believe in the bb concept, so I would like to know what some of the ideas people have are for fish in my tank.

Thanks for the help,
AJ

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you’re interested in setting up an anemone/clownfish bare-bottom tank, a couple of Bubble-tip anemones (Entacmaea quadricolor) would be the best choice. They like to live among the rocks (don’t care a bit about sand), and are one of the easier chownfish-hosting anemones to keep.

As for appropriate clownfish, it’s best to choose a natural symbiote. Here’s a list of possible candidates:

A. akindynos
A. allardi
A. bicinctus
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkii
A. ephippium
A. frenatus
A. latezonatus
A. mccullochi
A. melanopus
A. omanensis
A. rubrocinctus
A. tricinctus
P. biaculeatus

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help weatherman. I am not set at all on having a clownfish anenome tank. I just like carpets, so if it was possible to have one I would like too. I am looking more like an SPS dominated tank with some lps here and there.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If by “carpets” you mean the Haddoni anemones, then yes, they do like sand. It’s also kind of risky to mix coral in the same tank with anemones because if the anemone decides to move it will kill everything in its path.

Some other good, little fish are Basslets (like Royal Gramma and Chalk Basslet), Pseudochromis and Damsels (although they are mean little buggers), Fang Blennies and the Lawnmower Blenny. You can also keep Six-line Wrasses, since they tend to sleep in the rockwork rather than the sand.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about flashers and fairy's?I thought I read somewere that one of these rairly sleeps in the sand. Do you think a small group (1 male 2-3 females) of bartlett anthias would be too cramped. I am not looking for anything that can get mean. The theme of my tank is serene, so six lines and damsels are probably out of the question. What kind of fish do firefish get along with? I know they are pretty timmid but would they do alright with maybe a pair of onyx clowns and some anthias?Sorry for so many questions I just want to have some unique and peaceful fish.

Thanks again,
AJ

·
Registered
682 Posts
Firefish gobies would be a good choice. They are timid, but would get along well with peaceful tankmates, like most other gobies. A 60g tank would be a tight squeeze for anthias, but I suppose it could be done. Onyx Clownfish (A. percula) would be a nice addition. However, they might be a bit aggressive toward other fish if they have an anemone to defend. This is especially true of the female member of a spawning pair.

Percula clownfish are not the natural symbiotes to Haddoni and Bubble-tip anemones, so it may take a while for the clownfish to warm up to them. Percula clownfish are the natural symbiotes to another type of carpet anemone, Stichodactyla gigantea, but those anemones are one of the most difficult to keep.

I think flasher and fairy wrasses would prefer a tank with a sand bed to hide in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help weatherman.

It seems that I am going to have a chalange. Maybe I should forget peacful fish and go with semi aggressive. Then I could do the clowns and psuedochromis and other fish with that sort of temperment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts