The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a BB and I was wondering on if anyone has changed from a sandbed to a BB, and how they feel about the change from sandbed o bb. I was reluctant to post on RC because I new their was going to be an all out war over the DSB and a BB:lol: .

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was brave enough to post about using bio balls (oops I said it again) so it's only fare you post regarding bare bottom. I guess it's down to your set up. I heard of many who use the eco/miracle mud system prefer bare bottom, and unless i'm mistaken as do many users of the berlin system. Having said that, maybe I should leave this one for those with more experience to answer.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i have kept every type of substrate over the years, except plenum. i am on my second go round with BB, my first was in the early 90's. i was silly enough to listen to the experts and got rid of it back then. i still remember how easy it was, and that is why i am using them again exclusively.

there are very few critters that you can not keep. i have fairy wrasses and blennies in my ESB (Epoxy Sand Bed).

G~

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have been running BB for about a yeat now, love it. So much easier to keep IMO, don't have to worry about the sand not being clean or anything like that.
What ever you deside to do, make sure you research all you can about how the system works, and comit to it.
There was an old thread at RC that kind of help with my desicion.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
not to hijack or anything, but I have been considering going BB on my 60 gallon tank. I have close to 100lbs of live rock, and about 100lbs of sand. My question is, would I need to put any type of support on the glass bottom? Would their be any issues with it holding that much rock?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Fly Guy said:
A starboard bottom is the way to go. Starboard is the same plastic that they make milk jugs out of (HDPE)and it looks better than a plain barebottom tank...almost looks like sand if you get it in that color,m and it protects the glass
So I have to go with Starboard? Ideally the easiest way to convert my tank to BB would be to syphon out the sand. I notice alot of glass tanks that don't use starboard. Also I really like the glass bottom look.

·
11,345 Posts
BGJ223 said:
So I have to go with Starboard? Ideally the easiest way to convert my tank to BB would be to syphon out the sand. I notice alot of glass tanks that don't use starboard. Also I really like the glass bottom look.
NOT at all required. Starboard just does protect, but not necessary at all. My last BB tank i ran with nothing and i DID like being able to watch the critters from below. My pistol shrimp very seldom could hide from me.
:)

That tank is no longer alive due to dropping a 15 lb rock in it however...........

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I had a typical sand bed for three years....went to BB for a few months and am now HAVE a SSB just out in front, bare under the rock work.:agree:

The ease of BB is great I just couldn't get over the look. :nuts: It looked good, yet I just LOVE the look of white sand as a contrast!

Here is a BB shot. I will upload a SSB in a minute!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Here it is with the SSB only in the front ~1/2" and nothing under the rock.....

I do a cquick vaccum w/ WC's!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
deathmatch782 said:
I just changed from SSB to BB this past week. I will say that it's much easier to suck up detrius and keep the tank clean.
I agree!:agree: If you like or don't mid the look. BB is great for clean up!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
One more question. Will my live stock be ok
I have
2 Watchman gobies
1 Coral Beauty
1 Percula Clown
1 Dragonet
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Pistol Shrimp
2 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Serpaint star

Would there be a problem keeping any of these guys in a BB tank.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts