The Reef Tank banner

Batfish

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ShankStripedLyretail 
#1 ·
I don't know if I am in the right spot but I am not sure where to go for this question.
I work at petco and recently bought a healthy little batfish from there. I knew he would die and it kills me to see fish captured only to die in this store. His body is a little smaller than a quarter. He is bright red and orange and very willing to eat. He like to chase bubbles at night.
Well here is my question: how do you get this batfish to eat something other than flake food? I tried pellets and he nibbled on a few but he goes CRAZY over flake food. Its so weird.
Also what should the flow be on the tank. I'm currently housing him in a bare bottom 20 gallon tank. I had a pump running but he hated it so I'm now using a little bubbler and hes pretty happy. There's no live rock currently because he might have ich from the store. I am doing daily water changes and siphoning excess food and today I will get a skimmer for sure. I got him just last night. He is very eager to eat and is a pretty lively little fish. Its weird because he doesn't seem stressed at all. What do?

#3 ·
Keep him in QT (4 weeks is the usual time most people use) UNTIL the ich goes away. You should be able to dip him in blue and FW (10 min. with an air stone if he can handle it) and that should help. I hope you have a sterilizer on your DT. I don't know much about bat fish other than I think they get huge and are predatory? You can check here http://wetwebmedia.com Need a more experience aquarist's opinion for this little guy. Good idea for the skimmer, should keep the tank clean if it's big enough.

Is the Salifert a dipstick test? IME these aren't accurate (we currently use API drip tests, which should be available at your work :))

Are you adding RODI water to your tank (SW and FW)? I would think a unit would remove anything from the water. I'm not sure if there's a buffer for Ca2 or not...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.