The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right, newbie question time (actually I just always used to take my water to the LFS for testing but I want to do it myself now.)

So I'm in the market for some testing supplies. From what I've gathered, Salifert is the choice brand. However which test kits should I buy? I have a pH probe built into my AC Jr. so that is taken care of. I'm sure I probably need Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate to properly monitor my cycle... but what else? The tank is currently cycling and my future holds fish, inverts, softies, LPS, and eventually (sometime down the road) some SPS. What do I need to test for now? What should I consider testing for later? What tests do you use regularly? What tests do you own that are about to expire because you never use them?

·
11,345 Posts
In yoru position, iw ouldnt waste my money on salifert nitrite or ammonia. Either sit on your hands for the 6-8 weeks the cycle will take and dont buy anything, or buy whatever is cheapest besides API. The fact that they even exist is enough and cheap kits will tell you that.

Youve got the ph taken care of which is good, otherwise i would suggest buying a monitor for PH. Phosphate tests are worthless. A RO/DI unit and a TDS meter is what you need.

Salifert calcium, dkh/alk, and magnesium is all that is really needed IMO.

If you want to know your nitrates, buy a pack of those cheesy test dip strips. No they arent accurate, but ballpark is all you need to know. Your nitrate number will go down or go away competely on its own as your tank matures and your husbandry habits improve.

JMO of course

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the RO/DI covered with dual, dual inline TDS meters. Calcium, dkh/alk, and magnesium sounds like a good start to me. I imagine this will be what I need as I move into LPS and SPS? Are these necessary for softies and the growth of coralline algae as well? I bought my rock with some coralline on it and am hoping that it doesn't go away...

So far as the cycling goes, I bought cured rock but it had to endure a two hour drive in the back of my car. I'm hoping I don't have much die-off and that my cycle will be relatively short. I guess I'll get some of the cheapy tests (or better yet a friend offered me some of his) to see how my tank is progressing.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
In yoru position, iw ouldnt waste my money on salifert nitrite or ammonia. Either sit on your hands for the 6-8 weeks the cycle will take and dont buy anything, or buy whatever is cheapest besides API. The fact that they even exist is enough and cheap kits will tell you that.

Youve got the ph taken care of which is good, otherwise i would suggest buying a monitor for PH. Phosphate tests are worthless. A RO/DI unit and a TDS meter is what you need.

Salifert calcium, dkh/alk, and magnesium is all that is really needed IMO.

If you want to know your nitrates, buy a pack of those cheesy test dip strips. No they arent accurate, but ballpark is all you need to know. Your nitrate number will go down or go away competely on its own as your tank matures and your husbandry habits improve.

JMO of course
My EXACT philosophy. I do occasionally test with a low level nitrate test kit, but realistically, that might be once every month or two if I think there is an issue.

A refractometer and a good thermometer are good to have, and later on, having a good PAR meter with a remote waterproof sensor is a nice luxury.

HTH

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
How about:

:rolleyes:

:D

·
Fyr Fishy
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My EXACT philosophy. I do occasionally test with a low level nitrate test kit, but realistically, that might be once every month or two if I think there is an issue.

A refractometer and a good thermometer are good to have, and later on, having a good PAR meter with a remote waterproof sensor is a nice luxury.

HTH
I have a thermometer built into the AC Jr., although I guess a secondary analog one might be good for comparison. A PAR meter would be cool to have to see if my lights are actually doing what I hope they are. If two highly respectable individuals like FlyGuy and Tom are both in agreement about the test kits... I'm sold, it's off to the LFS I go. Thanks guys for your input!:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts