The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting up a new 140g SW that I plan to make into a reef. I have old live rock (nothing "live" on it) in another tank and was wondering if I could use some of it as base rock in my new tank. If so, any suggestions for cleaning it before use would be appreciated.

Thanks.

G

·
ohh yes you most certainy could use it.....save alot of $$$ that way....just add a few peices of nice lr too seed it....where is the old live rock being kept at?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got it all in a 75 gal now along with the fish that will eventually end up in the show tank. I was concerned about re-using the rock for a couple of reasons:

1) There is nothing living on it; and
2) Some of it has green algea, some red.

How do you suggest I clean it?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
why do you want to clean it? if it is already in a SW tank it will have all of the beneficial bacteria already on it. is it the algae you want to get rid of? the only way to get rid of the algae would be to boil the LR and then let it dry out completely. this will hopefully get rid of it. now this is not to say that you will reintroduce the same algae again when you add new LR!

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.