The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy who has a big tank 1200g. empty at this point. anyone have experiance keeping a barracuda. they have a small one for sale at the LFS looks like a neat fish to keep.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Um, thats not the tank thats the swimming pool

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree with firsthesitation. That is gigantic. WOW:drool:

I have never heard of anyone keeping a barracuda so I will just be tagging along:eek:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Barracudas are awesome. I once was chased by one in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Tip to all: Don't wear shiny necklaces in water while diving. They really like shiny things and they get big!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
Barracudas are awesome. I once was chased by one in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Tip to all: Don't wear shiny necklaces in water while diving. They really like shiny things and they get big!
I knew someone who got a locket snatched off her neck while snorkeling. She said she saw a silver flash and it was gone. She said she could only assume it was a cuda

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
You aren't one of them there terrorists are you..LOL ;) j/k

I knew someone who got a locket snatched off her neck while snorkeling. She said she saw a silver flash and it was gone. She said she could only assume it was a cuda
Lucky woman... it could have turned out to be a way different experience than just getting a locket taken off her neck...wow!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
A 1200gl tank is huge, but it may be a little small for a fish that reaches 6 feet. These are very cool fish, but I'm not sure they are well suited for captive life. It would be hard to find any fish to keep with it. If the fish is to large for a barracuda to eat in one gulp, they will simply cut it in half.

When I first started visiting the Florida Keys, the barracudas would scare me to death. When all the other fish are fleeing, the barracudas will swim right up and check you out. These things are fearless! Now I don't believe the bad rap is justified. The only time I've been in danger while swimming with them, is when my 16 year old daughter tried to climb on my back to get away from one. LOL. You can swim right through a school of barracuda and they will part like the red sea. Then move back together after you have passed.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
My LFS has a small one for sale, It's a 6-8" replica of the one that cuts up my leagle sized Grupers if I don't get them in the boat fast enough. They are smart, they have learned to leave the head alone because of the hooks. Caught a 6' trolling for Kingfish a few years back took for ever to get it to the boat and then we got first hand experience of how good they can jump. 1200G! Wow, what are the dimentions, get a cover or remove the bling befor you walk by the tank. It's like dangeling a red flag in front of a bull. (You could rent it for damsel removal, LOL, Yeah, yeah I know I should get a tagline that states Not Damsel Safe.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry i have not been looking at this thread went on a hunting trip and just got back. Well the tank is 10' x 4' x 4'. When he gets it up and running again then you can bet there will be some pictures of it on here. If he does. He better. anyways hes now looking at some pot jackson sharks as well. i don't know how well this all will work out lol. i would not want to rearrange rocks in a tank like that. better get it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
gonna need one of those mesh shark suits to clean a 4' deep tank w/sharks. Has his wife taken out some extra life ins? 10'x4'x4' my goodness that is mind boggeling, the equiptment, sump size, lights.... wow... I wish him the best of luck and we want pics... in wall?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have never had a baraccuda, but I have taken care of a few for a couple years. The biggest concern with them is eating. Many of them will never eat, others will only eat live which is either expensive or the fish damages itself while hunting. The largest captive cuda I have ever seen is about 2' so it seems captivity seems to stunt their potential growth. I have had some success with converting some from eating live to frozen and those fish seem to have no problem in captivity. They are very passive so don't get one expecting a great display of swimming. Hope that is helpful

1 - 20 of 20 Posts