The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Banggai cardinal that loves to hang out with my bubble tip anenome. When we added our Clarkii, it was very upset because the Clarkii was too territorial to let it stay nearby. Since then the bubble tip split into two, with the second moving to the other end of the tank. The cardinal is so happy that he is almost in the anenome, nudging the tentacles with its head and fins.

Just wondering if anyone else has a Banggai and if this is normal behaviour? It just seems strange to have it as a anenome fish. :)

-Chris

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I always thought that maybe since they hide out in urchins in nature, maybe they are use to hanging out with a non motile specis as a protective measure? I also thought that Bangaii live happier in groups. Maybe he is using the anemone to replace his buddies. Becareful of the clarkii though. My wife has had a clarkii for 2 years. She has a condi and a flower anemone and it seems to think that both of them are hers(the clownfish).

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
My banggais liked to hide out in/near a bubble coral - same idea. I thought it weird too but perhaps this is "normal"?

Jenn

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our Banggai seems to be pretty happy as long as the anenome is around. Luckily the smaller anenome is now on the other end of the tank and the Clarkii is ignoring it for the most part. Overall the Banggai gets along pretty well with the other fish. It is fun to watch at night; once the lights go off it swims all around the tank and shows more personality. Even though it is weird how much it and the goby watch us when we get near the tank. I think they find us as fascinating as we find them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts