The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2 Bangai Cardinals this past weekend.

Since then, I've tried feeding flakes, frozen blender mush, brine shrimp, and even some finely chopped up veggies.

neither of them really eat. They take in the food, then spit it back out.

they don't move much (typical), so I guess they don't really need a lot of food..but I'm still concerned.

Especially since one of them seems in pretty critical condition (straight up, but resting on the gravel).

I'm not sure what to do.

The one does seem to "tolerate" brine shrimp (freshly hatched), but they're so small, and almost no nutritional value, that I'm not sure that's even gonna help.

ANyone else have these? Tips? advice?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay...one just died. (my first SW fatality) :cry:

I still got one left...and he seems to be doing okay..just still won't eat.

But I dont' wanna force 'em...cause I don't wanna risk overfeeding the other fish, or the tank. So I get one try every day or two.

So much for my "if they get hungry enough, they'll eat" theory.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I Don't think they will eat chopped up veggies, I believe they are carnivores. Have you tried bloodworms? I am not sure if tubifax(?) worms are good for SW or not, but my fw fish love them. Not sure if this is a huge help, but hopefully you can keep the other one alive.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
where they eating in the store?
find out what they were eating there if anything
otherwise do you use garlic? apparently that can help stimulate eating
good luck

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
You might try bloodworms in a pinch. Not the best final choice, but I ended up with some a long time ago that "came that way." I slowly weaned them over to mysis shrimp, but it's an idea.

Sorry about the loss...
It's possible that you got 2 males, and the one killed the other, so it may not have been your fault. They're very difficult to distinguish, and even if you don't see aggression, it might be there.

Danielle

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe that was it.

I didn't see any agression...as the fish barely move to begin with.

But maybe he was just givin the other one some mean dirty looks! ;-)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is this an adult or juvenile/baby?

adults usually take mysis shimp, small to medium live ghost shrimp, and adult brine shrimp.

juveniles/babys will usually take newly hatched live/frozen brine, cyclopeeze, other small zooplanktons.

HTH

Andrew

·
Reefer in training
1,492 Posts
Ive got a Banggai in my tank, since the beginning of Jan. I have never seen it eat anything. I'm guessing its doing some night fishing. How else could it still be alive?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrew3 said:
Is this an adult or juvenile/baby?
they're about an 1 1/2", so I'm guessing they're not juv's.

An update: Already said I lost one. This morning, the lights came on, and about a minute later, the one Bangaii left went into spasms. within a minute, he was sideways/upsidedown, swirliln around my tank with the current. Was about to net him out, and chalk it up...but then I remembered my freshwater experience, and decided to wait a bit.

He's now back upright, and while he seems a little shaken up...he's otherwise back to normal. He MIGHT pull through. (glad I gave him a bit).

I have still yet to see him eat, but yesterday, he sure did have a massive line of poop danglin...so I'm thinkin' your right...he must be doing some night-foraging. Guess I'll just wait it out and see. Thanks for the advice.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nevermind.

he didn't pull through. and since he's out of the tank, and in my garbage...doubt he'll be "coming to" again.

(sigh)

·
Registered
575 Posts
skeety said:
nevermind.

he didn't pull through. and since he's out of the tank, and in my garbage...doubt he'll be "coming to" again.

(sigh)
Sorry about that skeety. No fun at all.

·
Reefer in training
1,492 Posts
Sorry to hear about the lose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, i keep two bangia cardinadls also, sorry to hear your loss, if you decide to try again i recommend turning out the lights for an hour, cardinals are nocturnal and tend to feed in the dark, i did this with mine for the 1st week or so and evetually they learned to eat with the other fish. I'm now feeding them on flake food. A tip for anyone else who has this problem it seems to be quite a common one!
Marc

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had troubles getting mine to eat too. I tried frozen brine, frozen mysis, and flake. I went back to the store to see that they fed their tank a mix of frozen mysis and bloodworms. They seem to eat the first few bits of bloodworms and then spit the rest out. I now only feed a little and try for several feedings in a day.

I am curious about m6xmarc's suggestion since my Banggai seem to feed by sight. Did you feed them in complete darkness, or just with no tank lights but in a lit room? I'd love to get mine switched to flake or at least more variety.

·
Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
first off, i think flake food could cause you problems with water quality, they tend to be high in phosphates...

if you want to stimulate a fish's appetite, a good concentrated garlic extract a few minutes before feeding along with soaking the food in garlic extract has always done the trick for me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi..i got an experience with the banggai cardinal..3 times failure..now i got 7 banggai in my quarantine tank.here some tips to share with.mine is about 2 inches long.if she didnt take the frozen brine shrimp try to get a (live) small fresh water guppy or a small fresh water shrimp.after get acclimate,( 3-4days)feed with brine shrimp,mysis etc.feeding time ..8.am and 7.00pm..best time suit for the banggai.dont feed with pellets food,flake, coz it wouldnt eat that.but some success story says that it can be trained to eat pellet.
the best to quarantine those fish in a quarantine tank to give them chances to eat wtout competition with other fishes.
best of luck..

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Sorry bro. :( but if you have been keeping stuff this long with out any losses you are way ahead of the curve. I had two for nearly a year by them selves in a 10G, they ate mysid and pellets. In the wild they hide in the spines of the long spine urchin. diadeama sp. If your serious about these get a big group of 7ish and an few urchins and try to breed em they are mouth brooders. FYI i think they are ICUN RED list, which means they are endangered. :(
Anyway they cam from very far away, may have been caught with cyanide, so dont fret.
Good luck bro. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts