The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this as a pest. So that others can be warned there are psychotic shrimp. :arg:

Ironically enough, I just got a Banded Coral Shrimp to help my 6-line wrasse to help control the flatworms and bristleworm population. Ironic? Yup because "goliath" had no problem acclimating and taking control. I watched as he tried to catch my blue chromis, no luck. So he decides to meander to the cleaning station of my 2 cleaner shrimp. Looked innocent enough, until he jetted out one of his claws, grabs the cleaner by an antenna and breaks off a piece as my poor little cleaner runs for the "hills". The darn BC shrimp has the nerve to gobble down the piece of antenna. So I'm forced to move goliath into my fuge.

I should mention that from that goliath was in the main tank for only around 2 hours when I realized I had to move him.

This is the first time I order on-line. When I purchase from a LFS I usually try to observe the item of interest to see if it has aggressive tendencies. I never observed an aggressive Coral Banded Shrimp and since it was cheaper to order on-line, well...

Is this unique? I'd like to know if anyone else has come across supposedly shrimp or fish that are deemed to be "friendly" but aren't.

The one good thing...Goliath will be eating those bristleworms in the fuge :agree: . I hope

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Coral banded shrimp are devils. Mine takes the food from my corals and fish if he can catch them. I wouldn't dare adding another shrimp for fear of it getting eaten. He can be cool in that I can feed him by hand but if I had done my research before hand I would have opted for much less aggressive shrimp. I will keep this guy until he's joins the big reef in the sky cause he's my responsibility and have taken to him. Then again I also have a mean as you know what maroon and a damnsel so I quess I like em mean! lol

·
11,345 Posts
Interesting.....i have had a coral banded and 2 cleaners living in a very clean, tightly fed system for about 6 months now with no problems. I have more complaints with the cleaners than with the CB.
Dont take me wrong, im not making any statements as to the norm, all of these are the first 3 shrimp i have ever kept of any kind....just noting my experience with them. I have actually wanted to pluk the antennae off of my cleaners as well......they make it REAL tough to feed my sun polyps. Who knows maybe the CB is just smarter than that and he waits until i leave, lets the cleaners take the rap and then pulls the food out of their throats........:funny:

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
its 50/50... if you want one thats going to work well buy it from someone that is hosting it with cleaners but forwarned it may turn on them, just like you can get a angel in a SPS tank (a little more dramatic) and I have seen them do fine but I wouldn't get one wild caught and expect that, your best shot is a captive living specimen that you can very is what you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts