1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
from my very limited understanding, only certain icecap 660 ballasts work, im not sure why, but i was told to check the "born on" date, if was made after a certain year, it will work, older ones wont, i would contact the manufacturer of your ballast and just ask em, they should give you a straight up answer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is the SAME ballast (icecap 660) that I have run my T5s on for over 1 year (almost 2) and it works great. I run 4, 48" T5s and according to IceCap each bulb is overdriven at about 80 watts. I have a 90gal. reef ready and everything in the tank loves it.

·
Reefer and proud of it!!!
866 Posts
I don't think the question is about the IceCap ballast.

It is about the PFO 4 bulb VHO ballast. If he could run the x4 T-5's off the VHO ballast.

And for me to answer your question I don't know. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
The answer is YES. They use the same ballest for both of there retros VHO & T-5s It says you can even mix bulbs.

http://www.pfolighting.com/AqFluorescentRetro.aspx
True but I think the bulb config changes depending on wether your using T5 or VHO. When I was shopping for ballasts. granted I was looking at IceCap and when I called them they said that the ballast (IC660) allows for a max of 4 bulbs with a max length of 16' but thats for VHO when you use T5 it's 1/2 of that so 2 bulbs max 8'. I would think that PFO are probally the same. You could always call PFO and get the answers you need.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
True but I think the bulb config changes depending on wether your using T5 or VHO. When I was shopping for ballasts. granted I was looking at IceCap and when I called them they said that the ballast (IC660) allows for a max of 4 bulbs with a max length of 16' but thats for VHO when you use T5 it's 1/2 of that so 2 bulbs max 8'. I would think that PFO are probally the same. You could always call PFO and get the answers you need.[/quot

The PFO ballast are 2 separate ballast and are powered separately also and can only be run one way. They can't be rewired like Icecaps.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From PFO when i emailed them..........

GOOD MORNING,<o></o>
<o></o>
IT SHOULD RUN THEM OK IT WILL PROBABLY SLIGHTLY OVERDRIVE THEM THOUGH.<o></o>
<o></o>
AND YOU WILL HAVE TO MODIFY THE CORDS AND REPLACE THE END CAPS WITH THE T5 ENDCAPS.
<o></o>
THANKS,<o></o>
<o></o>
CARLA TURNER X 17<o></o>

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts