The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
I originally had ball valves, and switched them all out for gate valves. Their easier to fine tune, and I found them to be a little more reliable.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Ball valve are good when you need either one-off or just need gross control for the amount of flow, they are not very good at fine adjustments. They are great and cheap for shutting flow off, or partial non-specific adjustments (like cutting off the water lines to remove a pump for cleaning). As already mentioned, Gate valves have very fine adjustability. They are better for use when you need to be able to make small changes in flow (like for adjusting water levels in skimmers).

HTH

·
Registered
960 Posts
Ball valve are good when you need either one-off or just need gross control for the amount of flow, they are not very good at fine adjustments. They are great and cheap for shutting flow off, or partial non-specific adjustments (like cutting off the water lines to remove a pump for cleaning). As already mentioned, Gate valves have very fine adjustability. They are better for use when you need to be able to make small changes in flow (like for adjusting water levels in skimmers).

HTH
I had something weird happen. I went to close one of my ball valves and it stuck, I could only close it a little less than half way. That's when I decided to yank all of the ball valves and replace them with gates.

Since then I've asked tons of people about this, and none of them have had the same problem. Lucky me!

·
Administrator
46,680 Posts
I had something weird happen. I went to close one of my ball valves and it stuck, I could only close it a little less than half way. That's when I decided to yank all of the ball valves and replace them with gates.

Since then I've asked tons of people about this, and none of them have had the same problem. Lucky me!
I never had that happen but i did have one that the shaft broke leaving the valve stuck open, OOPS :(

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts

Probably calcium carbonate buildup. I have had the same issue with gate valves whiile letting maintenance go in a heavily supplemented tank (Ca++ reactor running full bore in a heaviy stcked tank of stony corals and clams)

The threads of the actual gate from a 2" gate valve:

disassembled gate valve and threaded stem:

The skimmer box I removed the gate valve from:

With all the CaCO3 in the threaeds of the gate valve gate, I could not close the valve at all.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts

HTH
I agree with Tom! But I had a gatevalve (stem break).

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i went with a ball valve........this particular valve was only for toning down the return pump it has been running all night and it looks great! when i start operating my skimmer ill consider all of the above.

thats wild about all that calcium buildup by the way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts