The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys;
Can someone remind me of the amount of baking soda per gallon to raise ALK??
I just went blank!! :nuts:

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Sorry I don't know the answer. I used baking soda back in the day, but I forgot the dosage I used.

Here's you a bump anyway.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
your best bet for the answer ins Tom...tdwyatt. He would know for sure :)

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Dangit! 12 seconds too late:D

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
It would be easy enough to figure out though. Simply mix up 10G or so of ASW, test the parameters, add a known quantity of baking soda, let it mix, then re-test it. It would tell you how much a given quantity raised a given quantity. Something like that anyway :)

Is Tom in Atlanta this week for the ARC meeting or just hiding from us?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
It would be easy enough to figure out though. Simply mix up 10G or so of ASW, test the parameters, add a known quantity of baking soda, let it mix, then re-test it. It would tell you how much a given quantity raised a given quantity. Something like that anyway :)

Is Tom in Atlanta this week for the ARC meeting or just hiding from us?
that may be more accurate for the specific saltwater but seems like a lot more work than the calculator :) Is someone a little DIY nutty?:nuts: I think your aspirations of building a skimmer qualifies you as that :lol:

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
that may be more accurate for the specific saltwater but seems like a lot more work than the calculator :) Is someone a little DIY nutty?:nuts: I think your aspirations of building a skimmer qualifies you as that :lol:
You just now figuring that out? :jester:

Besides, whats wrong with a 24" diameter 72" tall skimmer that holds ~100 gallons of water being installed on a 12G nano tank?

actually I just saw Tom post in M-ville
I saw that too. Maybe he was just taking a break from finals.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be nice I have a 125 gallon canister filter on my 6 gallon LOL

I think I remembered. I had a gallon made up but since I don't add it everyday, I just blanked out when I ran out.

The only things I add to mine are Lime water wit vinegar and baking soda water.

I just hate chemicals!!
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
84 Posts
For what its worth as I don't actualy know a specific per gallon ratio but for maintaining alkalinity I bought a kilo of sodium carbonate (soda ash) for about five dollars and a box of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and simply dissolve two tablespoons of sodium carbonate and one tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate into a large glass of distilled freshwater and slowly pour or drip it into the system in front of a powerhead, Doing so raises my alk from 7 to about 9 in a system that holds roughly one hundred gallons.

Reef Chemistry Links

Chuck

·
Reef Overlord
486 Posts
I've been using the Baking soda for a couple of weeks now. The best "rule of thumb" is that 1tsp of baking soda disolved in 1 gal of water will raise the alk of 50 gals by 1dkh.
My only caveat is that I just messed that all up by adding 5 tsp to 1 gal and intended to drip about a quart, and forgot to turn off the drip. I dripped about 1/2gal in 8hrs and really pissed my corals off, esp the softies and polyps. The SPS loved it though!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been using the Baking soda for a couple of weeks now. The best "rule of thumb" is that 1tsp of baking soda disolved in 1 gal of water will raise the alk of 50 gals by 1dkh.
My only caveat is that I just messed that all up by adding 5 tsp to 1 gal and intended to drip about a quart, and forgot to turn off the drip. I dripped about 1/2gal in 8hrs and really pissed my corals off, esp the softies and polyps. The SPS loved it though!
yeah that's about how much I use, same as lime water..... but I use the calculator to help with the baking soda. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Hi folks, theon-line calculator is the way to go when determining what yur total dose should be. An easy-to-administer solution of baking soda is 1 tsp per quart, as it is highly soluble, but add the solution slowly to your system to prevent accidental snow due to "local event" changes in pH. Slow administration will prevent sudden shifts in pH that might otherwise become a problem for your system. Anything more dilute starts to affect salinity when you are making sodium bicarbonate changes in the system, and adding baking soda powder directly to ASW is asking for a precipatory event, not to mention how this would pH-shock creatures exposed to this sudden change in pH values.

The semester is over, but now it is catchup for everything else (Christmas shopping??!?!!)!

HTH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts