The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
better to drip in in over a few hours, but I know folks that bribble it in over a few minutes.

The best idea would be at least 15 to 30 minutes over a high flow area (dilute it to a half gallon, pour it into a clean empty plastic milk jug, punch a hole in the bottom and place the drip over an overflow), but, as I said, I know folks that just dilute it with tank water and pour it in (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Addendum: Why are you adding the buffer? why not with calcium? What is your salinity? What are your pH, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels in your tank?

I would want to know all of these levels tested with a good test kit or accurate meter before dosing your bicarb into the tank.

·
Do You Smell That?
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom,
Tank Specs:
SG- 1.024
Amm-0 Salifert Test Kit
Nitrite-0 Salifert Test Kit
Nitrate-0 Red Sea
Mag-1350 Salifert Test Kit
CAL-440 Red Sea kit
PH.8.2 Red Sea Kit
ALK- (LOW 6.16) Hagen kit
TEMP- 77.8

TRrying to raise the ALK between 8 to 11 dkh

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
looking at your SG and temp, I' would suggest bumping your SG up to 1.026 and getting a Salifert kit for the alk, I am not too happy with the reliability of the Hagen alkalinity kit, and with the numbers you have for cacium and pH, unless the tank is showing obvious signs of distress, I would suggest waiting for the salifert kit to make any changes. Adding unbalanced amounts of alkalinity can start the rollercoaster effect of calcium and alkalinity swings that will take long periods of time to correct once skewed, with everything else pretty much on target, you'd be better off to check with a Salifert kit first, then if your alk is tstill off, use the alk calclator on the net to determine how much you need to add before adding alk by a rule of thumb method.

Everything else looks good, correcting your SG for salinity will bring up your Mg, and a few water changes may help correct the issue with the alk, if there is one. How do you supplement your calcium and alk now?

JM2CW

·
Do You Smell That?
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the begining i was using Kent liquid cal. But with the load i have been getting with the corals they been sucking it all up it seems..lol. I have been trying The kent Liquid Reactor and getting good results it seems. When everything comes to a nice balance Im going to start dosing Kalk. Is that the hightest you would go on the SG and my Mag is at 1350 now, i thought thats what you want it at, correct me if im wrong. I'll go pick up those Salifert kits tomorrow aswell.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
sorry on the Mg, I was thinking your Mg was at 1250 PPM :nuts: ... I would still go for thw SG at 1.026, shooting for around 35 PPT salinity as checked with a good ATC refractometer or a calibrated Hydrometer. This may bump your Mg up a little, but over time with the use of buffer builders, Ca additives, etc and water changes, it will fall back in line and may aid your attempts to push the Ca and alk up a bit.

I usually don't push folks to get kits, but for alk and Ca and Mg, we need accurate reliable results. Salifert is the standard by which the others are judged. I would use a few others as well, but these are the best, most reliable kits and are usually easy to get at a reasonable (well, I didn't say cheap...:rolleyes: ) price. For [pH get a GOOD meter, and for salinity, get a refractometer or bulb hydrometer with a thermometer in the bulb. These are the things that can make the difference between moderate concern and outright panic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts