The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have constructed an overflow (14"x10") inside my 180g acrylic tank suffcient to house a submersible pump to drive a CLS. There are bulkheads mounted for the intake and 2 returns to the main tank. I was performing a freshwater test this evening on the CLS and when I fired up the pump I got a lot of vibration, enough to be extremely annoying. I suspected the pump and so I disconnected it and suspended it in the water, only a little bit of noise was heard. A very tolerable level. The vibration noise returned as soon as I reconnected the pump, no surprise there.
The pvc joints are not cemented as yet. Would cementing them reduce the vibration significantly? If not, any other suggestions? Could the pump be generating enough vibration that is heard only when connected to the pvc?

I'm open to any suggestions....Living room has been in a huge mess for a week now while I've been working on this project. I need to get this thing running ASAP. Good thing I don't have a wife or I'd be in the dog house right now :D

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, just put on a mag 5 for to see if it might be pump related, the mag 5 had worse vibration noise, not what I expected. Now I'm beginning to think good idea gone south?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.