The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 40 Gallon Refugium.......The front glass cracked all the way from the top to bottom.

I have been up all night setting up a 20 gal tank and sump to move my pipefish, and calurpa over. Needless to say, I will probably have some leftover calurpa that I can bring Tuesday. (Mostly the brillo pad chaetmopra).

The good news is that now I have no refugium over my sump, I can finally use that In-Sump Kent Nautilius TE skimmer. I figured out really really quick that the airline is kinda useless if it doesn't clear the water. (Shoots water and foam everywhere or at the very least fills the cup really really fast).

Bad news is that I think I lost some of the pipefish. I am down to about 11 from 16. I did find some of the shrimp, that I don't know they where there, but they are hard to see. I found Rachels two snails. Both were dug down under the substrate though.

Ray

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ray are u raising pipe fish also ...............i have been looking to start a tank with them can u also put them with seahorse or just by them self and what kind of tank is good for them...........

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marie,

I just transferred them to a 20 gal tank with live rock. I used some of the old water from my existing tank, hopefully won't cycle too bad. You can put them in with dwarf seahorses and regular seahorses, but I am not sure if the dwarf seahorse babies will get eaten. I am using a regular wet dry filter with a seaclone skimmer. And I am growing graceiliria and chemotherpa. I also have mangroves planted on the back wall. I plan to get some dwarf seahorses going as well but be prepared to keep baby brine shrimp available at all times.

The experts say that a pump and overflow may be too much flow for the dwarfs. I am pointing the overflow to the wall of the tank and use the overflow box to help sheild the middle of the tank. I didn't want to do it this way since my 40 gal long had acrylic plates to keep the flow down to a minium but when i raised them before it seemed like i fought cyano algae all the time. I will see in this instance.

I kept about 4-5 pairs in a 15 gal tank. I grew macro algaes and fed baby brine shrimp on a daily basis. this was for the dwarfs. Instead of using oolitic sand, i found that coral gravel and aruba shells worked best since even though it doesn't make a good nitrate sink, it seemed to encourage the growth of copepods, which the seahorses gobble up pretty quickly. I fed the baby seahorses (probably once a month I had a new batch) rotifiers but within weeks they were eating the baby brine shrimp. I also kept ghost shrimp in the tank with them as it seemed like they would spawn and provide more food.
I would caution using peppermint shrimp as they wiped out a 5 gal tank with two pairs of seahorses really quickly, and hermits. They will eat the seahorses. I kept one or two astrea snails, about a dozen of ghost shrimp (25 cents apiece ones but only about half make it and make sure you fish out the dead bodies), and every so often I gave the seahorses/pipefish a treat of baby guppies. (newborn ones). The pipefish I have now will eat adult brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, some will eat mysis shrimp, and I have seen one eat a ghost shrimp that was about 3 times too big to fit but it sure did manage to crunch it up.

For dwarfs, you can use a 1 gal up to a 20 gal any more than that, you will lose them quickly in the tank. For normal seahorses, your real estate is your limit, but remeber taller is better.

Jenn Hints:

1. Always, always decapsulate your brine shrimp eggs. Since I started doing that, no hydroid ifestations.
2. use a heater sheild if you must place a heater with the horses, they are slow and will burn the tar out of themselves.
3. Use foam or screening to cover up any filter inlets.
4. Do not mix with any fast moving fish, they will gobble up the foods before the horses can get it.
5. Carefully inspect each piece of live rock before you put it in the tank. Hydroids and aptasia will be the death of pipes and horses.
6. Jenn has success with cyclops eeze on small horses. I have had a mixed time with them.

Ray

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ray I am interested in your mentioning about ghost shrimp spawning. I have a scooter bleny taht I am trying to keep fed and I was wondering how easy it is to keep the ghost shrimp and having them spawn. My bleny is accepting brine shrimp. would it be as easy as buying a dozen ghost shrimp, drip aclamating them and adding them to the main tank and they spawn easily? it would be nice to have another food source for the blenny assuming the ghost shrimp pawn regularly.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but the problem is it is hit or miss with me Akula. I think a refugium helps and definatly the 40 gal helped with a lot of and I mean a lot of macroalgaes.
I never tried with something like an aquafuge but I think it would. My peppermint and ghost shrimp spawn regulary but not always the fry make it but it makes great zooplankton.

Ray

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would just try it in the main tank. buying five dollars worth makes it a cheap enough experiment. I could stick 2 in the HOB and the rest in the main tank and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are at the next meeting. I will bring you a packet of chaemothorpa.

Ray

·
Registered
862 Posts
I will be at the next meeting, assuming you are refering to me. I do need to get my pod production jump started. Thank you.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do.

BTW for anyone else reading, my pipes have acclimated to their new 20 gal high. I have had to throttle back the Sump pump since they kinda stuck to the screening until I did. Anyone have a decent pump with a lower presssure. The only pump I had was a Cap 2200 that I was going to use for my skimmer, till Andy got me a deal on a Mag 7 and a Mag 18. ( I prefer the Mag profile verses the twice as big cap, plus Mags have a better reputation).
Anyways, the skimmer is the next step and i have setup a Brine shrimp tank to keep them fed. (Just get some adult brine from one of the sponsers, I used a 5 gal tank and three pounds of good live rock, a sponge filter, and an airstone. I have been gutloading them with Kent's Microvert but only until I get my phytoplankton cultures going again.)

Ray

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ray,
Try bigalsonline.com
I got a mag 9.5 for $61.00 a few weeks ago.
Cheapest mags I have seen & I looked alot!
Bob
oh yea, got that 75 fixed & gonna use it for the sump/ fuge on my 90 gal.
Should be real sweet!
Thanx again & hope to see ya'll tommrow nite if I can get off in time.
I think meetings on Sat. or Sun. would be a good idea.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ray i dont live to far from u i will have to come and see how u have them set up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts