The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a Euphyllia Ancora coral that I got 3 years ago when I first set up my 125 reef. This coral was my favorite, and still is today. But I almost lost it when I had a bad run in with Derbersia( hair algae). After 4 months of pulling out my hair, and going half insane, I found my answer in several places. First I got a more reliable test kit for phosphate, and tested the water in several locations, and found high readings close to the rocks near the bottom back off my tank.
So I moved the reef 2 inches from the back of the tank, and added a couple of powerheads there for water movement.
After moving the rocks, and adding the powerheads, the phosphate was allowed to precipitate from the water, and within 2 weeks the algae was almost completely gone. That was in September of 2001. Since then I have never seen any hair algae in my tank. Here is a collage of the before and after pics of my Anchor.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you notice on the before picture, you can see the dead section of skeleton. This was a brown jelly success story as well. I had to siphon the brown jelly off the coral 3+ times a day for 4 days until it stopped killing the coral. It was worth the effort, it has changed in color a bit, but it also sits with another anchor (blue), and a frogspawn(green). All 4 corals touch each other all day, and have done so for quite some time. Don't try to mix other similar species though, as Torch Coral will kill either one quickly.

Attachments

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
I'm having a pretty bad prolem with hair algae, so I know your pain. Could the hair algae be affecting my corals of fish in any way? Also, what could I get to help remove it? My snails can't eat it--it's too big and out of control. Thanks, and the tank looks great!

Kayla

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hair algae is aloud to bloom to plague proportions only if Phosphate is available at higher than Natural Sea Water levels.
Yes it can and will kill corals and anemones if aloud to keep spreading.
Try adding some water motion behind the rock work in your tank, and make sure that if you are overstocked, happens to most of us reefers, that you have more than enough skimming capacity to do double your tank size. You can never skim to much, but can always skim to little.
Try a tooth brush attached to a siphon hose to get rid of the big tufts, and get a bunch of snails to get the little stuff.

Good Luck and thanks for your reply.

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
I have a bakpak IIR skimmer and a pvc pipe attatched to my canister filter. The pipe has holes drilled in the back and it provides a pretty ample flow that is distributed throughout the tank. I am going to get an emerald crab to help me out, and I'm probably going to start weeding out the algae. Thanks for the help, and I'm glad your tank is doing better.

~Kayla

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you are getting things under control now yourself.

I used a CPR bakpak on my first reef tank. A perfecto 36"x13"x24" 38 gallon tank. I sold it when I set up my 125, and went with 2 Berlin Classic Protein Skimmers (250 gallon capacity each). One is like a bakup really, it does about 1 fifth the work of the other.

~Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.