The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Night, I noticed a small wet spot on my tank stand. I found a 1 drop per minute leak (guessing) comming from the bottom band of the tank. I am guessing that there is a seal on the bottom corner of the tank that is going bad. I broke out my emergency kit with aquarium sealant and sealed the leak from the outside.

Question 1. I am guessing that this will not hold for very long, even though this morning it seemed to have worked. I figure it is a matter of time before the makeshift seal may give, or may not give but I don't think I want to risk my reef over it. What is yall's opinion?

Question 2. I have a 75 gal setup almost ready to go. It isn't drilled out like I wanted, but with a very few mods, i can have it ready. I figure that I can cycle it with existing live rock and a lot of the sand fairly quickly. But I am worried that my floor will not handle having the 600 pounds of tank or so I have on it currently, and the additional 1000 pounds of the 75 gal with a 55 gal sump. I can drop the sump size down to a 40 gal tank however it doesn't fit well beneath the tank and I don't know if I am really saving anything. Does anyone know a lot about floors? I am next to load bearing wall and this is a rental house.

Question 3. I currently have in my basement, a drilled out 29 gal, drilled out 20 gal, a 55 gal acrylic tank (3 feet long but tall), a 40 gal long tank that is reef ready, a 75 gal not reef ready tank, a 20 gal long, and tons of 10 gal tanks. I have power filters and my skimmer can be converted to a HOT model. Any suggestions?

We were planning on moving in Sept. Now it looks like I have to drag out my ro unit (we needed to replace a filter and mount it, but decided to buy ro until we moved and I can permantly mount it), (brand new was cheaper than replacing the membranes so I have a 75 GPD, 5 stage with UV Ro Unit coming) and set up this 75 gal. Oh Yeah, I have a basement with exactly two Electrical outlets and if I turn on the humidifier and too many air pumps for my phyto lab, I trip the breaker. I can drill down from the first floor and drop extension cords I guess, and It will solve my summer heating problems and it is a concrete slab. If that is what I have to do, I have my eye on a 90 gal tank and I want my 75 gal to be my sump.

Ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
Man Ray, your post subject says it all. If part of the silicone in the tank has come loose due to stress, the leak will create a stress concentration in that area. To make matters worse, silicone sealant has a fairly strong pull strength, but a fairly week peel strength. This means that it's likely that the seal failure will probably propogate over time. I hate to be a bearer of bad news but consider yourself lucky that you got this leak as warning. I don't think I would be able to sleep at night until I replaced that tank.

As far as your weight concerns go: If I recall you have a cinderblock wall basement right? You said the tank is above a load bearing wall? Does that mean it's right above and adjacent to the outside cinder block wall of the basement? If so you should be ok. It also kind of depends on the direction that your floor joists run with respect to the basement wall your tank is situated above. For example: if you place the tank along an outside wall go down to the basement right below the tank and look up at the (hopefully exposed) celing. If the floor joists run parallel to the wall that the tank is against, that's not so good unless the tank is in a corner between outside walls. If the floor joists run perpendicular to the wall that the tank is agains that's good. The point is that you want the tank to be as close to where the end of the floor joist meets the wall as possible. hope that helps.

Nate G
(Mechanical Engineer)

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nate,

Hopefully I will look tonight. I am hoping to have a new tank setup next to the old tank, let the sand get seeded, then start moving the rock, the lights , etc. I guess I am more worried about my clams than anything. If I can hold off and allow the tank to cycle, I should be in good shape. What kind of weight do you suppose the ceiling joists handle off the top of your head?

Ray

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry Ray, I couldn't really tell you what your joists are rated at. It depends on many factors including: what size/material they are, where the load is located, where they are supported, and how far apart they are spaced. The difference between lhow much weight a joist can handle towards the middle of the room and how much it can handle next to a wall or support is very significant. Off the top of my head I think it is exponential but I'd have to look up those beam equations to be sure.

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks. Now if I can find someone to take a look and see. I am thinking I may have to build a fish room somehow in the basement and put another circuit down there.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Ray,

Assuming the rock doesn't stay out of the water for long, you shouldn't see much of a cycle, if at all, when you move everything to the new tank.

I agree with Nate on the weight issue (near outside wall, spread across several joists). I have heard each floor joist (typical) can handle something like 1800+ lbs. Thus, even if a typical joist could hold less, you ought to be able to handle multiple tanks assuming they are spread across several joists. Of course, if the house is older, has had problems, has hidden problems, etc. it could be different. I'm not a builder or anything, just passing on what I've "heard," so take it for what it is worth.

-Chris

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am gonna try either way. The only thing is the substrate. I am gonna have to go and buy several bags of sand and start this tank from scratch. I am going to keep the sand bed from being disturbed as much as possible and keep my corals and in the main tank and commence to moving the rock over one piece at a time. Then I have to figure out a good day to move the lights and go at it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mana, Ray that isnt very good!! I am so sorry! The 40 was starting to look VERY GOOD too! But just think, when you move in Sept. you will get a MUCH better tank huh?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ray that stinks. I'm always concerned about finding a leak in my tank and having to go through this. But at least you have some options (ie other tank to store your livestock) until you move in a couple months. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. BTW if you need any help moving the tank or tanks in Sept let me know.

Cheers
Ryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry about your worries. I'm a real estate appraiser and certified home inspector. The inspection biz is a sideline and limited to mold testing. My education is biology and system design, not engineering or construction, but I know more than the average chickie.

I would encourage you to have the area looked over by an inspector, architect, or engineer. There are many variables that make it near impossible for the average homeowner to identify psi loads for framing. Even the best framing job can be undermined by the hvac or other contractor improperly notching or boring. I would make extra sure that there is no moisture build-up around the area. 20% moisture can cause mold and rot. Don't rely on the codes...they are always changing and sometimes are just plain dumb. Spend the money on a well qualified professional. After all, you could be averting most decidedly very, very bad thing that bites.

Good luck!

·
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am thinking of going with the 75 gal simply cause I have the crushed coral will need probably one 50 bag of oolitic sand to top it off. I have to wait till my new ro unit comes in before I set it up. It is currenlty in Washington State and on its way to home.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts