The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a feeling before I left last week for vacation that my luck was going to run out, I had left my tank 5 times without a problem so I guess I was due.

I came back last night to see my temp readout at 89 degrees!!! All the doors were shut and somehow the fans were unplugged. It amazes me how many things can go wrong when I am not around. So I threw a bunch of frozen jugs in the tank and got it down to 80 in about an hour. I had posted sticky notes on the doors LEAVE OPEN, guess that didn't work. Hair algae and brown slime algae have decided to start growing also while I was gone.

I am not sure how many corals I am going to lose but the count is starting to build up. So far a cleaner goby, cleaner shrimp, yellow humilis, purple nana, a. ceralis, ricordia rock, and countelss snails and hermits. I have also had to frag my pink simplex, green stylo, and my loripes, so hopefully these will make it. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else will start to go.

I just bought a ton of carbon, phosguard, and salt so that should keep my busy for the next couple of weeks.

Kyle

:angry: :cry: :angry: :cry:

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
I hear you Kyle!

89 degrees! Ouch! I just got back from the beach yesterday only to find my temperature teetering at about 85-86.

I have lost quite a few pieces this year a few of which I grew from 1" frags.:(

Good thing you didn't go with 400 watters eh?

Welcome to the I need a chiller for 3 months out of the year club:beer:

Hopefully things will get better soon

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oh NO!!!! Kyle...that's awful!!!!!!

If you need new frags of anything I got.....just come and get 'em!!!!! (get some phyto also!).

Hope vacation was AWSOME !

Dennis

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it seems that most of the corals and fish have recovered, knock on wood.:D My only other losses have been my new loripes, which I am really upset about and few frags that I had been growing out.
While I was doing a water change this morning I also noticed my first ever aiptasia. Hopefully my copperband will make quick work of it otherwise I will have to make some kalk paste. I just can't believe how many things showed up after a week of being gone. It's like the tank was waiting for me to leave so they could start their evil plot. :angry: This tank is going to be the end of me someday but I wouldnt have it any other way. :nuts:

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Kyle

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I thought I would update things, I guess my little "knock on wood" theory didn't pay off. I have completely lost my simplex and loripes that I had originally saved a couple frags of. New additions to the list is are my blue A. pulchra, a frag of my blue tort (thank god I fragged it), and green plating monti. I may be adding my pink milli colony on to this list soon also.... we will see. On the good side of things I think the heat stressed my rose into splitting for the second this month:rolleyes: and I now have room for some more colonies.:rolleyes:

Kyle

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
sorry for your losses man, if you had a softie tank i would let you come take cuttings from whatever you needed out of my tank...

but as you said, now you have room for new and better stuff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.