The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've sort of got a smack in the face yesterday ! while working on getting back into the regular routine on the reef tank i decided to move an acro that had been starting to get zapped by a brain coral .
in the process of moving such said piece i bump into one of my really nice orange caps , and i'm sure you know what followed ! :mad: o.k. not a really big deal , thats what epoxy is for right ! got it attached and moved my attention to the task at hand and started noticing something moving on this acro , i knew right away what they were so i got out the magnifying glass to see how bad the infestation was and it was pretty bad ! all the acro's had bugs ! i did interceptor back about 4-5 months ago and had hoped they were gone ! now i know why i didn't add anymore crabs or shrimp since the last treatment !
this was late last night and i wanted to get the interceptor in there so it would sit allnight . i had to work out of memory , which was half a pill would do about 200 gals so i threw in a 1/4 of a pill since i have about 100 gals of total water volume , does this sound right ? i have decided not to do the water change this time and just reliy on the skimmers and carbon to take it out ! have any of the "rules " for usage of interceptor changed ? one good sign this moring was that my blood shrimp is still alive ! " just when you think things are going good " ...........

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
That's a bummer, I don't think anything has changed as far as the rules of Interceptor use. Are you doing one treatment?

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah , one shot for me ! good news is i couldn't see any bugs on the acro closest to the front glass but the lights haven't come on yet , only observing with ambient light . i have heard of people doing the three step treatments and the bugs still come back , so i figure if one treatment kills them off for 6 months or so that is o.k. . seems like adding three treatments of posion is an awful lot ! i am hoping that by just doing one and killing them off ,that if (more like when ) they come back the posion will be out of the system as not causing it to accumulate by treatment after treatment .

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wiskey said:
I think the idea behind the 3 treatments is to kill off bugs that are in the larval stage and not effected by the first treatment. I have also heard of overdosing just to be sure.

Sorry to hear about your infestation,
Whiskey
i can understand this to a degree , but if i remember it was found that they were live bearers . at this point it doesn't matter as looking in the tank they are gone :D . and i found out were the dead ones went ! changed out my filter sock awhile ago and low and behold there was a nice ring of thousands of them in the sock ! using my handy dandy magnifying glass i was able to confirm there demise ! (for now ) .:dance:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I know what I'd be scremin' " Die you little buggers, Die,Die,DIE! Hope the treatment works for you , you have a really nice tank!

·
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Viv said:
I know what I'd be scremin' " Die you little buggers, Die,Die,DIE! Hope the treatment works for you , you have a really nice tank!
actually it was more like AWW ! ( insert your choice of fine explicitive here ) :rotflmao: . it looks as tough it worked :thumbup: . and thanks for the compliment !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts